Author Topic: Stone hunting questions  (Read 1204 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Stone hunting questions
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:36:22 am »
I have just about run out of material to knap. I have been scouring the interwebs for information on where in my fine state I can find knppable materials. For those of you who do collect your own stone, how did you find out about the location. I have found a lot of very vague information of where to look, but nothing concrete as of yet (besides for obsidian and chalcedony as more than just knappers are interested in it). For instance, there is a mention of an area called "Chert Canyon" in central Utah. That is where the information stops. I ran across a Doctoral dissertation last night. It was submitted to the University of Utah in 1970. I has a lot of useful information, but I still can't find any more mentions of the areas after the publication of this paper. So without boring you with the contents of the 96 page document here are my questions. How labor intensive is the collection of your materials. I am not afraid of some hard work, but I don't want to have to break trough 2 feet of limestone to get a few pounds of stone. Are you more likely to not disclose a good place to collect stone? The areas that I would be collecting are public lands. Most will require at least a 2 hour drive in each direction. Most are chock full of snakes this time of year. And then there is the issue with living in the desert. 100 degree plus temps and very little humidity. Thanks for all the help you all have given me on this quest. The bright side is the most promising area seems to have black chert.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Majuba Tom

Re: Stone hunting questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »
JoJoDapyro keep searching and try any combination you can think of. Like stone too sources of Utah, or Lithic quarries if Utah. You never know where the info is hiding. Here in Nevada that is part of the Great Basin. I have found that areas that have agate and Jasper's also have chert nodules. Some areas of Utah might be similar. Also if you have a school of mines in Utah like we have in Nevada they will have a lot of geological information that can be helpful.

Here is one document that I found and it has some info for Utah in it. If the link does not work search for moore_2009 and you will find it.

GREAT BASIN TOOL-STONE SOURCES
http://members.peak.org/~obsidian/pdf/moore_2009.pdf

As for the second part of your question there is no reason to dig unless you find a spot that is incredible. If you find a spot like that there will be loads of surface material to collect also. When you find a spot to explore walk the area for an hour or so if there is anything worth collecting you should see evidence fairly quickly.

Good luck with the black chert. I hope you find a large ledge of it sticking out of the ground. :)

Tom

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Stone hunting questions
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »
I downloaded that exact PDF earlier today!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.