Author Topic: Purpleheart  (Read 2079 times)

Offline DC

Purpleheart
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:01:26 pm »
I'm making some Purpleheart foreshafts. I noticed when I ripped it that the inside wasn't as purple as the outside. I was silently accusing the shop of staining it to make it look better. Two days later I noticed that the sawdust under my tablesaw is getting purpler(word?) and purpler. Am I imagining things or does Purpleheart turn more purple as it is exposed to air? If this is the case should I let the arrows sit for a few days before finishing? 

Offline jayman448

Re: Purpleheart
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:37:29 pm »
it does go more purple in air and sunlight. discovered that while making guitars

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:09:27 pm »
After doing a little searching it does seem that UV exposure turns it purple and then starts to darken it. Apparently heat makes a deeper purple. I couldn't find anything that gave me a time frame on how long to leave it in the sun. A few hours or a few days or?? I do know that the sawdust under my tablesaw seem to be brighter purple every time I walk by. Any more personal observations would be appreciated :) :)

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:10:03 pm »
Just keep an eye on it i think.. it can get so dark its near black depending on conditions. (I mistook purple heart for ebony at a glance)

Offline warpath

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 04:14:33 pm »
This is a trick I've used for years: Make a solution 50/50 denatured alchohol and boiled linseed oil. Use a clean rag to wipe the solution on the "Not purple" purpleheart and allow to dry for 24 hours. Rub the solution on the purplheart every 2 hrs after that until desired "Purpleness" is achieved. This process will vary from piece to piece.

G