Author Topic: applying skins over sinew?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Balsatech

applying skins over sinew?
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:18:15 am »
I've got a Osage bow that I have sinewed, and wanting to skin.  Wanting t o know how best to deal with the valleys and grooves between strands. I have filed down the obvious peaks and high spots but was wondering about if I maybe need to fill in the rest with some glue to get a smooth surface so no air pockets under skin. How's it done guy's?  Thanks  Joe.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: applying skins over sinew?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
Joe, what glue did you use? Both TB glues and hide glue will work for gluing down skins over sinew.  Lately I've been using hide glue and love the results. I seem to have less excess glue pockets and air bubbles with hide glue. Hide glue has what some call "suck" as it cures which draws the skin to the sinew giving very good adhesion. The back of the bow with the skins on it will be as smooth as you prepare the sinew before you add the skins. I don't mind minute hills and valleys in the finished surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:18:00 pm »
Pat. The  sinew I put down with Tb3 , have used it for 4 bows so far, will probably try hide glue sometime in future. Although I have not had a problem with the other. The sinew has allways went down really well. My other bows I had finished with paints and pigments and not had to have a real smooth back. Although the skins I didn't know. Seems to me that smoother would be better and filling the little valleys with either single strands of sinew or glue would be better than getting to aggressive with a file and sandpaper and reducing my sinew even further. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:09:32 pm »
Since you used TB for the sinew I'd use the same for the skins. You can water it down a little if too thick.
 I hydrate the skins first while prepping the bow. When ready get all the excess water off the skin(I work one skin at a time), size it with glue and add glue to the bows back. Lay the skin down making sure it is centered and work it to the bow with your fingers. I like to wrap the skinned limb with strips of old bed sheets, again be sure the skin stays centered. After about an hour or so I remove the wrap and work out air bubbles and excess glue pockets then carefully trim off the excess skin with a razor or scissors. I leave the skin unwrapped after this and give it until tomorrow before adding the other skin.
 Once both skins are dry I'll clean up the edges with a smooth file and fine sand paper. Give the bow a few more days to completely dry and add the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:40:53 pm »
Sounds like problem solved Joe. Is this the same one from Moontree? If so, the skins will glue down nicely to your good sinew job.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:55:41 pm »
Thanks Pat. Yea Tracy same Joe. It's just that I have never looked at anyone's bow that has had skins glued before (other than fiberglass), and I just skinned a nice rat snake that will cover the whole back. Just studying up while the skin dries.  Thanks guys.