Author Topic: Is this dog wood?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline ColtSmith

Is this dog wood?
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:06 pm »
Ive been doing some research on what woods make good arrows and a lot of people say dog wood. I'm wondering i this is dog wood and if not will it work. Also how long do you guys let it sit and drie.

Offline hedgeapple

Re: Is this dog wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:03:27 am »
My first guess would be rough leaf dogwood.  But, I an NO plant ID expert.  I'm sure PatB will be along shortly to ID it for you.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:54 am »
From the look of the leaves I'd say it is dogwood. The variety I'm not sure of. Where do you live?   It should make good arrows.
 You can probably get it dry enough in a few months but a year or more would be better. Don't scrape the bark right off the bat, give them a month or so or leave it on until you are ready to make arrows.
When you go to cut it bring along a 3/8" open wrench to measure the shafts at the bottom. Also, if the shoot has leaves directly attached to them leave them until next year. You want shoots with small branches on them and not just leaves attached.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ColtSmith

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »
SW Missouri

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:18 pm »
Pat B - why is it that you say to only cut the shoots with branches?

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »
Shoots without branches, often just leaves, are young and will frequently yield shafts with a spine to weak for hunting weight bows.
My 2nd year cutting shoots I have a much better idea what to look for... I think :) lol
Consider too leaf and small limb growth depends on light availability but to start with these are great guides to recognizing young and more mature shoots.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:13 pm »
Hardwood shoots with just leaves on them are generally last years shoot. After the next growing season would be the time to cut them, after its second growing season. When they loose their leaves after the first growing season they grow small branches from the buds at last years leaf scar the next growing season. I've used this method of selecting hardwood shoots for many years and it has proved itself over an over again. You can make arrows from first year shoots but they will probably be flimsy and hard to keep straight.
 I'd guess that the dogwood you have there is red osier. There are only a few varieties that have red stems. We have silky dogwood (red stems)here but not red osier. I haven't had good luck with silky but have made great arrows from red osier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:31 am »
Looks like red osier to me too
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:57:31 am »