Author Topic: Dogwood Bow Pics!  (Read 11687 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Dogwood Bow Pics!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »
Good to see dogwood performing well, I've got a couple of staves seasoning in my basement. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Dingleberry

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 05:01:53 pm »
Well done.  My first successful bow was made with dogwood and it's still shootin well.   My bow had an almost exact upper limb as yours. 

Recently I tryed making a celt handle with dogwood, primitively, and had to resort to tools.  I would be very impressed if someone could make a primitive tools bow out of dogwood.  Dang that stuff is hard ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 11:05:21 pm »
Yankee, I think you could probably get that bow bending just a tiny bit more out of the fades-maybe a few scrapes between fade and midlimb?  ;D  ;D  :o  ;D

Ya Think!!!!! I cant beleive I even took on this Challenge.....this should be turned into Firewood....and I should just make Him another Bow....and say ....here you go ....I fixed it!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

ozark caveman

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:52 am »
Got your neat dogwood stick bow  with the dogleg ;) all bookmarked for Feb Self Bow of the Month. Nice and primitive - we like these.
Thank You!

ozark caveman

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:16 am »
Hey Ozark!!
So you like to work with Dogwood??
I also like it!!...REALLY like Dogwood "Cornus Sanguinea"... :) 8)...
What species of Dogwood are you talking about mate??
BTW: Really nice dogwood bows!!

Cheers...
Asier. 
Ok. It seems that people are saying that there are 2 different dogwoods. I live in the Ozarks and we have what is called flowering dogwood. It has pretty white flowers in the spring that cover the Ozark Mountains in white. This Tree does not grow tall. 20' to 25" at most. It is very hard and dense. I've read somewhere that it's used for wooden malletts because of how hard it is. I also read that Native Americans used it as their primary bow wood if it was available. I think it's as tuff as hickory.
  As you can see the little dogwood is bending a lot. I gave this bow away a long time ago but it was a serious performer.