Author Topic: Pedernales Knappin at Johnson City, TX  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Pedernales Knappin at Johnson City, TX
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:17:45 pm »
Here are a few photos from the knappin at Johnson City, TX Knappin Apr. 11, 2015:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:26:24 pm by Chippintuff »

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Pedernales Knappin at Johnson City, TX
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:22:16 pm »
More photos:
We all had a good time. This is always a very good knapping for the Central TX area and beyond.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:28:06 am »
That does look like a nice relaxing time. Been too long since I've knapped with others. Isn't that the pedernales that runs through there?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline neuse

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:12:02 am »
Ded gummit. Missed a good one.

I wish it wasn't during turkey season.

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:17 am »
Looked for Ron Fesseler in the photo's and didn't see him.  Was he there.  He ran the knap in when it was in Federicksburg.  I attended that one twice.  It is a great event for sure and thanks for posting.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:07:10 am »
Saw the announcement for this Saturday afternoon and then got called to work Sunday morning so I couldn't make it! I've never knapped with anyone else so it would've been cool to have some coaching and rock trading.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27:46 am »
Yep I missed a good one also.  But the numbers look to be about half of what there was last year.  I guess the weather had something to do with it.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:42 am »
It looks like I missed a few of the photos, so here are three more. I do not know names for most of these people though I have met most of them. My name keeper doesn't work very well. Ron Fuller is the one in the center of the second photo. I'm not sure how I missed posting his photo. He does a nice job with this event and is a good guy in every way. Yes, the Pedernales River borders on the rodeo grounds where this event takes place, and this is the same event that was previously held at Fredericksburg. The site in Fredericksburg was taken over by construction, so the last 5 years the event has been held in Johnson City.

There are always displays of extraordinary knapping at this event. I looked at one of those exceptional points two or three times, and when I asked the guy what his Paleoplanet name was, he said he was not on Paleoplanet, then picked up that point and handed it to me as a gift. I tried to refuse, but he wouldn't take no. His name is Travis Moore. I'll go back and point him out in the photos. I'll also post a photo of the point he gave me.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »
Dr. Dan sure qets around.  Of course this would be the closest knap in for him to attend.

Thanks again for the posts.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:16:16 pm »
From the top, here are a few of the names:

Photo # 3: Raphael on L, from Mexico, always present at the Pedernales Knappin.
Don Tower on Right, excellent knapper.

Photo # 5: Travis Moore on Left, seated, in blue coat.
Kinley Coyan/Elremolino on Right, seated, wearing cowboy hat.
Jerry Kiker/Freezecracked on Right, standing, wearing the blue coat. Folks, it was not hot, but I think some of these guys came prepared in case a blue norther blew in.

Photo # 8: Curtis Smith standing at his display table. He is one of the finest knappers anywhere. He has pieces on display that get very close to the Sweetwater Biface in thinness W/T ratio. He had a few tons of knappable stone in numerous varieties there. Other dealers also had a lot of stone there. These events are the finest places to get stone.

Photo # 10: Ron Fuller in the center. Ron conducts the Pedernales Knappin every year, and does a fine job of it. Knappers and vendors who attend each donate one or more items to be auctioned off Saturday afternoon. The auction helps pay the expenses for the knappin. There are always some good items in this auction. I bid on several of them, but others were determined to get them, so I came away empty handed.

Yes Dan Theus does get around. He always has fabulously knapped points by the tables full, and each one is flawlessly made, even the ones that are fingernail size. Some of them are probably no more than 5/16" wide.

Here are photos of the perfect point that was given to me by Travis Moore:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:21:15 pm by Chippintuff »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 09:19:29 pm »
Cool! Wish there were more in the north country would love to hit some up!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...