Author Topic: tiller check please  (Read 1944 times)

Offline DaveMac

tiller check please
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:38:11 am »
Working on my second bow its 66" long 2" wide and its a holmgaard/mollegabet style. Raw hide backed and z spliced through the handle.

I realise that it was probably daft to pick this design for my second bow but the shape fitted the wood. I had thought of leaving it for a while but decided to see it through and then stick to pyramids for a while after this one.

Back profile

Unstrung

This is being pulled 16" on a short brace

Think I'm going a little bit tiller blind. I think that the right hand side needs to bend more out of the fade, but unsure it thats correct?

I have found that the tillering gizmo is of limited use with a short working limb (fade in and out) would a smaller gizmo (say 4" rather than 6") help?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »
Id say both fades are a bit stiff. You need to get every inch of working limb working on this style bow. Get the limbs moving from fade to lever fade evenly and equally.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:19 pm »
So far so good!i always tiller from tips to fades.get your limb bending just past the lever and work it in.broken record sound) floor tiller...repeat.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 02:33:22 am »
I go for getting the whole thing to bend! If you make one bit bend then the rest you are likely putting excessive strain on the first section to bend.
Your tiller looks quite good but yes the right fade is stiff. Get them the same first then progress.
Yes a shorter gizmo will help and work just fine.
Left limb is perfect and the right needs to catch up.
Now would be a good timer to trace the outline of the back onto a wall or something. Then as you progress you can keep a really close eye on how it's bending and where it's taking set. Follow the mantra of no set inner limbs, a little midlimb and the rest out to the tips.
The bow will show you how to tiller it with this method - I strongly recommend it!

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:20:09 am »
Thanks for the input guys. I knew I'd built the fades kind of thick so knew I would need to push them back, but thought I'd get it bending first. I could see that the limbs were uneven but had got to the point were I couldn't tell which one was wrong.

So first job is to get the callipers out and get the right fade to match the left. Next get both fades moving more so I've got more of the limb working. Then make a smaller gizmo before I bend anymore.

Thanks again  :)