Author Topic: Stave ID  (Read 9918 times)

Offline JohnL

Re: Stave ID
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:59 am »
     Not sure where this was cut, but looks a bit like "Rowan" / Mountain Ash, as well.  It has a shallowly-furrowed, interlaced bark pattern, like that.  They also have a leaflet arrangement that looks similar to Hickory/Pecan/Blk. Walnut, but with only 5 leaflets.  I've read that bowyers in Europe use their version of the tree for bows.

-Also, I agree that the sapwood looks a bit thin to be Hickory.

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 02:56:25 am »
I look at rowans most everyday and that's not anything like 'our' rowans here in the UK

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 08:40:35 am »
The shallow criss-cross pattern reminds me of Bitternut hickory. There might be other, better hickories for bow-making, but you won't get any better for smoking BBQ.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PatM

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 09:08:15 am »
   In the Kingston area  or anywhere along the  St Lawrence you won't find much but Bitternut and Shagbark it seems. I have lived in that area and would definitely say it is  Bitternut based on location.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:12:29 am by PatM »

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 12:03:56 pm »
I'm just on the other side of the lake from that part of Canada. I cut a few rowan/mountain ash staves this winter. The type found here has a smooth purplish bark I would consider almost shiny. The ones I harvested had more sapwood than heartwood. Also that stave looks like it came from a rather large tree. I've never seen a mountain ash with a trunk diameter of more than a foot or so.

If I had to guess with just those two photo's to go on, I'd say mockernut hickory or ash based mainly on the bark pattern. Factor in the heartwood color, I'd say it's mockernut hickory. Burn some and take a whiff. If you get hungry, it's hickory. If you can return to where the stave was cut, search the ground for hickory nut shells for a final determination. I've made both ash and hickory bows, my ash limbs were thicker compared to a hickory bow of the same weight. The ash bows were lighter as well, even though they had more wood/volume.  Both make fine bows, but it helps to know what dimensions you're aiming for before you start or you might run your cabinet scraper down to a nub. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 12:49:11 pm »
Mockernut  only grows way down in the Southwest tip of the province.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »
Is the bark on a bitternut similar to mockernut? Essentially the wood is the same, but just curious. I like to get my ID's right.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

gutpile

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 03:41:52 pm »
not like any hickory Ive ever seen...Im in Ga. though...gut

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 04:26:47 pm »
Is the bark on a bitternut similar to mockernut? Essentially the wood is the same, but just curious. I like to get my ID's right.
Bitternut tends toward being rather smooth or less rough if its bark does start to break apart a bit. I've never quite figured out why it seems capable of having almost Blue Beech like smoothness in larger sizes or it starts breaking up when rather small.
 It is the only Hickory growing where I am right now and it does seem rather variable.
 Hickory also hybridizes  so you have to consider that. Apparently Shagbark and Bitternut cross-breed although I can't say  I've ever seen a tree that looks like a cross.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 04:31:15 pm »
Dakota, bitternut has a light grey bark, and interlacing or criss-crossing pattern; also, the leaves are the shortest of any of the hickories, and the nut is bitter. The mockernut hickory is a darker grey bark, the nut is sweet, the shell is hard and thick.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »
PatM-- sorry, I didn't mean to walk on your answer, guess I was typing while you were posting.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 09:50:30 pm »
GEEZ, I wish someone could positively ID this stave.......my curiosity is killing me.
Drew - Boone, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 03:01:17 am »
It's hickory.....go make a bow!