Author Topic: help me tiller this juniper bow  (Read 8484 times)

Offline GB

Re: help me tiller this juniper bow
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:06:23 pm »
I don't like giving tiller advice because I just don't have a keen eye for it.  That's why I use a Gizmo.  But it looks to me like your inner limbs are too stiff.  Hope you get more input and good luck with it.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:05 pm »
you have gotten some good advice, ,the reason you are not getting that many comments is the bow is not that far off,, just needs some fine tuning,,I can see that it will draw and shoot,, and probably well,,,fine tuning tiller by photo is not my thing,, once it gets to that point,, seeing it in person is the best way to fine tune,,keep in mind, if it is shooting well,, the tiller does not have to "look"perfect  ,, and actually the way the bow shoots, trumps the way the bow looks,,,and you are the one that would know that :)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:11 pm »
Jeff, I have been busy with work, not avoiding the thread. First question is, is there a reason you went with a stiff handle? What is the length of the bow? It looks very close as others have said. I am by no means an expert, but as has been stated, the proof is in the pudding. If it shoots well then it is a bow. Would you rather have a brand new car that runs like crap, or a slightly used car that runs like a top? My best looking bow doesn't shoot well, and so it sits. While my ugliest bow is my favorite bow to shoot.  >:D and it more than likely is getting sent out as my trade bow.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 12:07:31 am »
Joe,

Good questions. I went with a stiff handle because I had the length to do it, and then I wouldn't have to build something up to hold on to.  Actually, I can still feel it bending just a little in my hand, so it isn't completely stiff.  the bow is 60" nock to nock, with about 2 1/5 ounces of sinew in 4 layers on the back.  Right now it is about 45# at 29" so the weight isn't bad, just not what I was aiming for.  I am pretty comfortable that I could take an inch of either side and get it back up, if I decide to, (or if I need it for the trade bow) but I am leaning toward not. I am leaning toward antler tip overlays, if I can find any.

So far I really like the juniper, and I would like to try more. How is that beeswax and olive oil finish working for you?  I kinda like the sound of that too.  Nice to hear from you.  Where is Tyke?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 12:30:15 pm »
Tyke has been working quite a bit. He got a new job a few months back. He is able to work as much as he wants, so he stays busy there. When he started the guys he worked with told him that his wife would accuse him of having an affair within the first year, as they work a lot, and have fun while doing it. I have some deer antler if you need some, let me know, I also have some buffalo bone that looks really good as tip overlays. I should be in Lehi on Saturday so let me know before then. Mine is 53 inches, 2 ounces of sinew. I just did a catfish skin handle wrap and carp skins on the limbs. I'll post some photos soon.

Offline Tyke

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 06:26:04 pm »
Nice bow jeff i like it  ;D
why buy it when you can build it

Offline poldo

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
this bow is really close to be done, like bradsmith2010 said if it shoots well you might even call it done .. what I would do however is add another layer or 2 of sinew if you want more lbs out of it , string it backward with just enough tension to give it the reflex you want,  hang it and let it cure in a warm dry place, 3-4 weeks can be enough but you might need more time if you live in a humid area..

Offline Tyke

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 09:15:58 pm »
How much reflex is to much? >:D
why buy it when you can build it

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 02:19:43 am »
Joe, I would like to take you up on that tip material--either the bone or the antler--but I will be out helping my father in his yard this weekend up in Kaysville.  Can we do it another time?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 08:46:09 am »
For sure Jeff.