Author Topic: eye dominance and instinctive shooting  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Andrea S

Re: eye dominance and instinctive shooting
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 04:10:18 pm »
I'll chime in here too, as I'm similarly skewed. I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, and I didn't even know it for years - I now shoot left handed. When I was a kid, I shot right handed. So, it came in handy that I took several years off shooting bow because when I came back into it last year, I started shooting with my left, and it was easy because I didn't have any muscle memory to overcome. At the beginning, though, (before I built up all my lefty muscles) there was a clear difference for me when I tried switching between left and right. Eye dominance was a factor for me, for sure.

The excercise that I enjoy most (where eye dominance plays a factor in depth perception) is shooting three different targets at different ranges, usually something like 8-12-15 yards, one after the other. It exercises your eyeballs instead of just your shooting muscles - sort of like how when you watch baseball players warming up on the field, the shortstop and third baseman don't just throw the ball back and forth to each other (which would be fine if they just wanted arm exercise), they're throwing to and catching from all different positions.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »
Right handed, left eye dominant, shoot lefty. Just feels natural. Not really an instinctive shooter though.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 11:19:21 pm »
Left eye dominate/right hand shooter, also. Never thought about it to much until  few years ago, and too old to change, now. I've shot a lot of flying birds and skeet and trap, both eyes open and never had a problem. I kinda shoot bows the same way.

Now, try shooting a thumb ring and shooting off the right side of the bow when you are shooting right handed, so, how does that work?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »
  It's really easy to change eye dominants.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING