Author Topic: linen backing  (Read 3090 times)

Offline bigfish

linen backing
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:41:44 am »
I have some linen I am going to be using for a backing on a bow my question is what is the best glue tb3 or hide glue and will it add and draw weight to the bow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: linen backing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:47:06 am »
My experience has been with tb2.  No issues.  Don't be stingy with the glue.  Have not noticed any change re draw weight.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »
ive used titebond 3 to back stuff, Ive used cloth/canvas/fiberglass cloth/fiberglass drywall tape/jute/rawhide and it's been just fine.  With all of those backings, no noticeable or measurable draw weight gain.  You will obviously get gain in mass from the glue and the backing which might affect cast, but I haven't noticed it myself.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »
I have used Silk, Denim, Linen, Nylon, Brown paper bag and Fiberglass.   Linen is good but apply at least 2 layers.  Have had good success with FG but using epoxy not TTB.   >:D  At any rate this is about using natural backings.
I don't care for silk its hard to get flat and work out the wrinkles.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bambam

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:45:05 pm »
Tight bond 3 works well and so does Elmer's Probond Max contractors grade.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:04:23 pm »
I have built a few with TB3, works well,  draw weight is not effected.  I would wash the linen to make sure no sizing or starch is in it prior to backing a bow with it.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:34:37 pm »
Either TB2 or TB3, both work fine. Be sure to apply a generous amount to the back of the stave and let it set up for a couple minutes before applying the damp linen. This will help prevent moisture from getting into the bow. You can apply additional glue to the back a day later if it hasn't stuck uniformly.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:30 pm »
I've done quite a few linen backed bows using tb3..Works well...
Little tip for ya:
After ya glue the backing on and it dries...Sand the back and edges lightly..The edges will get fuzzy...Dip a  "Q" tip in some super glue and run it up and down the edges of the linen edge.. Allow to dry and sand lightly, sanding away from the edge to avoid lifting the backing and allowing it to feather in...Re apply and sand as necessary until ya got a smooth edge..Hope this helps ya...
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania