Author Topic: Billeted Indonesian Teak Self Bow: Pyramid Style  (Read 4288 times)

Limbit

Billeted Indonesian Teak Self Bow: Pyramid Style
« on: March 29, 2015, 07:39:53 am »
"Nemetona": 50#@28'' (Yes, I understand the draw picture is not to 28'') 170cm, 550g. Indonesian Teak purchased here in Taiwan where I reside. Cut came from a very clean log...so clean I decided I'd give Teak a try even though it is not a typical bow wood. Billeted with a simple V-splice reinforced with with some metal inserts and turquoise nodes. Horn tips and strike plate. Heat-treated belly with 5cm of reflex induced. Took only 3cm of set (around an inch). Fires briskly and is surprisingly light to hold. No need for varnish, but I varnished it anyway. Teak seems to be a promising wood when treated correctly. The only information I could find on it indicated that it works well as a pyramid bow, so a pyramid bow it is. Beyond that, there is a lot of hearsay regarding teaks working properties as a bow wood. I think this might be due to "African Teak" (Milicia excelsa) getting lumped together with "True Teak" (Tectona grandis). They probably share few characteristics.
[imghttp://][/][imghttp://[img[URL=http://s176.photobucket.com/user/Limbit/media/photo%204_zpslb7gvf1f.jpg.html]][/img]  [imghttp://][/img]

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Billeted Indonesian Teak Self Bow: Pyramid Style
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:49:39 am »
 Excellent craftsmanship, beautiful wood and bend...How long is the handle?
                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Limbit

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:32:20 am »
I can't remember, the total length of the handle, but the splice is a 14cm splice (about 5 1/2 inches). I usually shoot for a 18-20cm handle. This handle is actually slightly bendable despite the splice and I will be binding it up with some leather soon just to be triple safe with this super oily wood. Just wanted to show the splice first.

Offline adams89

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:27 am »
very cool nd nice to see people try new things, this bow came out great!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:40:01 am »
Nicely done.  Very cool flat too. 

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:02:42 am »
Excellent work!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:54:23 pm »
Looks nice, but for sure no where near 28" let's see er bend for real!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »
Sweet bow

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:21:55 pm »
Looks cool.  Nice job!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:57:01 pm »
Might you consider gluing a piece on the back of the handle so you could round it? It can't be comfortable to shoot with the back flat and those abrupt corners...
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Limbit

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:33 am »
I used to do fancy handles, but I like flat handles more now. I hold the bow very flat in my hand and prefer a slightly bendy handle like you might see in a paddle bow. The aboriginal teacher I have here in Taiwan taught me how to shoot and the way they hold their hands makes a flat-handle more comfortable for me. They usually have something like a pistol grip or just a flat handle depending on the material used. But yes, it looks jagged.