Author Topic: Creaking white oak  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Creaking white oak
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »
This white oak stave was cut and sealed a year and a half ago. I brought it inside in December and within a couple weeks it took 2" of recurve set. I know white oak takes longer to cure out due to the cell tyloses, but I thought I was safe. A waited another month then got it to dimensions, put a string on it and after it getting it to pull about 8" the first cracking sounds started, with no visible damaged. So after two more weeks I added a backing of linen and now have it creaking evenly to 20". There are some slight visible longitudinal (?) lines visible mostly on the belly. I'm thinking I will wrap artificial sinew around the limbs in 5" or 6" spacings and hope everything holds together. The first two pictures show before and after backing strip is applied; the next two are belly shots of each limb.
All advice is welcome. The design and dimensions are based on the original Sudbury Wampanoag bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Creaking white oak
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »
I'd drop some thin superglue in those cracks. I've seen lots of bows with cracks in the belly going with the grain. If they don't go off the edge you should be fine.
Honestly if it was me, I'd probably just grab another piece of wood, but I have lots.
Any sound coming from a wood bow can't be a good thing

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:52:06 pm »
wizardgoat, thanks for the advice. Most of the cracks are lines rather than actual cracks. I probably should scrap it, but its nearly done and I tend to be stubborn.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:42:03 am by Hrothgar »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:45:15 pm »
Those ticking sounds  as you draw are never good. When I've heard it on my bows the sound has been caused sometimes by chrysalls on the belly, sometimes by the formation of splinters on the back and sometimes problems with the side of the bow.

It is always good to locate the source so you can fix it.

Jawge
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:41:54 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:40:55 am »
In the picture of the back before applying linen, it looks like cambium remnants are left on the back. Sometimes these want to pop off/and or lift. They don't pose any problem, but should be scraped off. That could potentially account for small amounts of cracking/creaking sounds. Hope it is nothing major.

From the belly, it looks like maybe a high crowned stave from a small diam. tree, but pictures of back look relatively flat backed. If the crown is high, maybe consider decrowning.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 03:12:46 am »
Could it be anything on your tillering tree?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:52:18 am »
Carson-- it could be the cambium, unfortunately its now covered with linen.

Mike--at first I was hoping it might be the tillering tree, but the creaking is only coming from one limb now.

Jawge--although the lines are most visible on the belly side, they tend to peter out on the back side. On a positive note the lines don't run off the edges and don't extent the entire length of the limb.

Just wondering: normally I apply backing with TBII, but since I was out, opted intead for 'Gorilla Glue'.
Has anyone else experienced cracking sounds with it?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:50 am »
Gorilla glue that foams up? I think that stuff would do that.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:35 am »
Those lines don't bother me. Backing caused creaking should eventually stop. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:11:47 am »
PatM, no, Gorilla wood glue in a squeeze bottle. It does look, smell and dry differently than TB.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 12:17:01 pm »
  Those cracking sounds are wood sells seperating and rubbing against each other at stress points.

Any sounds from your bow arn't good. I'd grab another stave and start over.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING