Author Topic: bow  (Read 3668 times)

fredie

bow
« on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:31 pm »
I want to get in to bow making and have found a design I like witch is a pattle bow . so I a looking for a small stave to attempt  my first bow . I am also looking for advise on how to do this with out messing up to bad . let me know please -fredie

Offline Stixnstones

Re: bow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:11:18 pm »
Rudderbows.com might still sell hickory paddlebow blanks for cheap or look around here for board bow ideas, lots of good stuff 😀 home depot , lowes or menards sells hickory maple red oak all cheap and a great way to get good practice. Look for straight grain or edge grain boards.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:38:02 pm »
A short bow design is not a good bow for your first. Small tiller mistakes are amplified.
Get a few longer bows under your belt, get the hang of tillering, then attempt a shortie.
Just my opinion

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:36 pm »
I agree!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:40 pm »
Funny, I get more tillering problems on longer bows. Not sure why.

fredie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
thank you guys my next question how thing should the tiller be or how do I weight the bow when I am done

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »
Judging from your last post I would suggest going over to the how-tos and buildalong pages and reading through a few of those.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:28 pm »
You tiller the bow so both limbs bend evenly and together.   Don't worry about draw weight. Build it so it is a good weight for you. What that is doesn't matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:27:26 pm »
Fredie, it sounds like you should start with the basics. Here's a link to a very thorough, step-by-step guide to making your first bow:
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064;p=0

I found it very helpful and managed to make my own bow using this guide. It shows you what wood to pick, how to tiller it, how to figure out draw weight, all the things you're asking about. Good luck!
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:34 am »
One of these sure makes it easier for a first time bowyer to tiller limbs.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:45:52 am »
Hi fredie

I agree with everyone here that you better try an easier design first.
BUT since I know I started with what I really wanted to make and otherwise I would not have started at all:

For a paddle, try around 60 inches or a little under that, just a bit more than twice your draw.
Understand how width and thickness and tiller work on a pyramid bow. You need not build one but understand it.
Look at your paddle. Obviously it's much too narrow in the inner limbs and too wide in the outer. Therefore have it bend mostly in the outer limbs and just a little in the inner limbs and the handle. Those outer limbs end up real thin. Don't bend it hard until they are thinned enough or you mess up the inner limbs. Flip the tips and keep them stiff because of the string angle.

I make mostly paddles, I love paddles. Here's one where you can see how the tiller ends up:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=37523.0
For a first  build, there are a couple of obstacles and adventures. Good luck!
Don't shoot!