Author Topic: finding work?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline beartail

finding work?
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:25:34 pm »
last year my son finished welding class at our community collage. He cant find a job doing anything! more less welding! hes 23 years old. I thank god he doesn't have a family to take care of. he trys so hard and is a good young man.hes never done drugs and rarely drinks and if he dos is vary responsible.don't really know why I'm telling yall all this.i just hate seeing my son hurting like this and don't have anyone else to talk to besides god of course.and I shore do thank him for everything he dos for us.its bad seeing your son day after day depressed because hes not working. working makes a man feel good. he wants a place of his own and to support hisself.hes considered the military but that's not a option him. I wish I could send him to tractor trailer driving school but that's way to expensive.i just want to see him happy before I'm dead and gone.well,i guess that's all I can think of saying right now.thank yall for being there

Offline bubby

Re: finding work?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »
Tell him to hang tough, it will happen for him
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:25:10 pm »
Lotta construction out here in PA and New York  especially in the city.  I was just talking to an old firend of mine last week who is a welder and he said they are just boomin, doing work for New York Skyscrapers.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:28:01 pm »
Tell him to hang in there and work any job he can. I will guarantee somebody will notice his good work ethic and hire him. I can't find a young guy that wants to work. Just because you went to welding school doesn't mean you are a welder to most companies. Almost every company I've worked with have their own standards as to what a welder is for their needs. He'll find one. Tell him to Google Haywood Baker.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:22:10 am »
I wish Him luck - hang in there ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:22:15 am »
I was a 22 year old, just out of the Army, with a wife and a 2 year old. I moved to where the work was, three moves before I put down permanent roots.

I had a friend who refused to move for the same type of job I had, he is still working, trying to retire now. Because I took advantage of better work by moving, I have been retired for 15 years.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 11:05:31 am »
 I welded for 35 years never had any trouble finding constructon welding jobs.
  You have to travel or he'll end up in a factory somewhere setting on a stool welding parts.

Not a real welder. Sorry thats not totally true. Kinda like bucket hunters.

TELL HIM TO TRAVEL IF HE WANTS TO MAKE ANY REAL MONEY WELDING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 02:16:39 pm »
Have him create a profile on USAjobs.gov.  Lot of forestry technician jobs hiring about now for the coming season, both fighting fire and outside of fire.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 04:33:10 pm »
Government is the place to go in my opinion. I jumped from job to job for 9 years. Got on as a seasonal with the city 11 years ago and hav been there since. The pay is enough to survive, but the benefits are stellar. I will be able to retire at 54. 13 paid holidays, very few weekend shifts. It takes a bit to get on, but your work ethic will show and you will get on full time.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 05:01:37 pm »
There is a lot of construction going on in Bryan/College Station. It is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. Also consider any place where they are drilling oil wells.

WA

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:55:39 pm »
Thats sad to hear especially when he has taken up a good trade.  We live on the west coast so welding is in demand like ship building, construction, mines etc.  Most guys here work in the oil fields.   Other than that maybe moving is an option.  Our parents worked during a time when the economy was exploding after WW2 the 50's - 60's it was crazy days.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 11:18:16 pm »
I weld plenty at work. I will say in most trades welding is only 25% of the job. learning how to properly fit things up, use chain falls and come alongs, or set material and hangers for it are usually most of the job. good fitting makes welding easy. unfortunately he will have to select some sort of trade and you become specialized in. Welding for a sheet metal company that I do is different than welding for a pipefitter or welding for an ironworker, shipyard, well company so on and so forth. he needs to start at the bottom of the food chain in one of the trades. also most companies understand completing welding classes and welding in a booth is much different than welding in the field on lifts with wind, swing stages and multiple other variables. I wish him the best of luck if he shows up and keeps his head down and does his 8 hours every day he should not have a problem anywhere

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 11:46:28 pm »
Things are like this all over. But what I would suggest is this: Does he have another skill he can build upon and market? I just accidently fell into a gig as a freelance journalist. There's an online news agency that buys my articles and I don't need to travel. I do it all from my laptop, just reading the news and then writing smart-aleck opinion pieces about them. I basically do op-ed pieces. It doesn't pay a lot, but it's money and it spends. Now I fell into this totally by accident, but it was because I can write snarky political satire. So, what I'm saying is he should think outside the box and find other talents he's got and go after those markets.

You have to go into places and ask for a job whether they've got an ad out or not. Most jobs I've gotten weren't advertising when I went in. If you know 50% of what the job entails, you probably know 50% of what the people working there already know, dig what I'm saying? Just go in there like you own the place confident you can do the job. Make sure everything on the job app is perfect. One job I had, one of my duties was proof-reading the job apps. Spelling errors and omissions were an automatic discard.

Do your own thing. If people use firewood, cut firewood and sell it. If you can write, look into online writing or editing gigs. It doesn't pay much, but it's something. Now I went to a high school welding program way back in the 1980s. The only place I got market that skill at was this fly-by-night outfit that was making knock-offs of Nautilis exercise machines. But then I got tired of the drama in there and took a job with a defense contractor running parts. Then went in the army, got out from there and was driving a lumber truck in L.A. Then drove a tow truck on police rotation doing impounds, cleaning up wrecks, and so on. Then did electric tool repair, then generator repair, then worked into being a purchasing agent. My last job was selling raw silver and turquoise at this place that sells that. I knew nothing about it but taught myself all about it and knew more than the other employees by the end. You can sell ice in the Artic Circle if you know how to sell. Now I do this freelance journalism gig and all I have to do is read the news and lambast the appropriate parties. Is it perfect? No. But it's something and I just marketed a skill I had.

Don't get locked into doing one thing and become attached to that, even if that was your training. Adapt and move in new directions when that skill isn't in demand. Hey, it might come in handy in the future. But for now, find something else. That's why the queen is the most valuable piece on the chessboard. She can move in any direction. Hard to capture her. Find the biggest employers in town and I guarantee you they've got a couple slackers in there they're getting ready to fire. Be that guy that comes in and fills out the job app asking for a job without waiting for the ad to appear in the paper. You just need to know the basics of what they do in there unless it's a job that requires certs or licenses.

Just tell yourself you can do it and you can. With God, all things are possible.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...