Author Topic: Advise from the OS guru's please  (Read 2380 times)

Offline DC

Advise from the OS guru's please
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:46:45 pm »
I just noticed these cracks on this OS. I think they are from heating the limb to match the reflex of the other limb. It surprises me because I was confident that it was dry. It has been in a warm box at 65 degrees and 50%Rh for 3 months and has been at equilibrium(lost no weight) for 2 months. It was collected last spring. Anyway do you think they are fatal? I'm not too concerned with the one down the middle of the back although it is 14" long. The other is about 6" long and is right on the corner of the back and the side about 8" in from the tip. You can just make it out in the picture. The crack must head towards the center as it doesn't come out on the side at all. I've CA'd them.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Re: Advise from the OS guru's please
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:04 pm »
Maybe not fatal, but they sure affect how it'll bend. They probably only go to the pith.

Oceanspray is never dry It seems. I've given up on speed curing. 1 yr min.

The stuff is an enigma.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »
  Those are what I call wind checks. Where you hurryed the heating made the woods mositure excaped faster that the other parts of the wood. Once a check starts the excaping moisture keeps it going untill theres no more mosisture.

You'll also get those with age.

I've been working on a osage snake bow. The stave I've had for 22,23 years. It has some bad checks that go all the ways through in places.

I just reread your post. I've never worked with OCEAN SPRAY but all the white woods Iknow. If those are all the way through and you can see them in the bows back. It's likely done if you can't work around the checks. You might back it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:24:18 pm »
There is no pith on either limb, I've tillered past it. I've marked the ends of the cracks and will keep on tillering for a bit. I don't have it on the short string yet so it's still got a lot of bending to do. If they grow past my marks I'll scrap it. At least that limb. I can splice another on.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »
OS experts? I dont think there are any. Maybe James Rempp
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 09:45:39 pm »
How about OS enthusiasts :D :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26:49 pm »
No OS expert I've built one but on advice i was told let it sit two years and i left mine three and i think it was about dry then and i have 115 deg summers
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:41:04 am »
I am no guru, only 3 OS bows under my belt. did you dry them in full stick form?
I've had the best luck with removing belly wood, and crossing my fingers.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:48:59 am »
If probably throw some glue in there and press on, keep track of how long the checks are, but it's pretty tough stuff

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 01:16:14 am »
I am no guru, only 3 OS bows under my belt. did you dry them in full stick form?
I've had the best luck with removing belly wood, and crossing my fingers.

I cut them into a rough bow form. I cut the limbs to the pith and leave the handles full size except for a saw kerf through the belly of the handle down to the pith. SteveB's idea. If they are cut to the pith and seasoned in our climate(wet) they don't seem to check. They always seem to be susceptible to RH changes.