Author Topic: Glycerin cured snake skins?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Glycerin cured snake skins?
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »
I've built a bow for my friend Chris ( I will be posting it soon) and he has a set of Western Diamond back skins hanging on his wall he would like me to skin it with. He says they were glycerin cured or something of the sort. My question is can I use these and if so what kind of preperation( do they need in light of the fact that they are not the air dried skins I'm used to? I also have an additional question...I bought a pair of matched skins at OJAM a couple years back. They are not air dried, they are soft and supple and have been in a plastic bag since then. I am not sure how they were cured but I assume it could have been done the same way. How can I tell how they were done?
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Glycerin cured snake skins?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:25:44 pm »
Soak in Acetone for a few hrs. then glue on.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »
I glycerine cure a lot of my skins, i just soak them in dawn and rinse and no problem with them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:32 pm »
I've not had good luck with them.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »
Same here, Will.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »
Bring them to OJAM Danny and we'll get them on there. They will work just fine.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:10:48 pm »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:36 pm »
  I've put on 20 or more skins on bows. Like said soak in ACETONE few hours ,over night won't hunt it.
  Next day clean with warm water. Take a knife and scrap the water out at the end.. Let dry a hour or so. Scease the whole skin and the bows back with white wood glue. GET LAP OVER AND FORGET ABOUT IT FOR NOW. White glue takes a few min's. So wwhen you rap it you can move it alittel if needed.

I rap with ace bandage. This way you can slide the skin ove the edges of the limbs a little as you rap it. I use'lly just hang it up a week to let it dry.  Sucks when you don't wait enough and the skin comes lose when you draw it.

Take off your rap take a razzor blade trime up the sides.

About a year ago I put fake copper head skin on a OSAGE bow. Never again I could'nt stop the edges from unravleing. My fake skins days are done.

This is'nt the only way, just my way. Quick and easy. I've only had the one skin ever come lose. Like I said I just didn't wait long enough. That as 20 years ago. You can glue the taned shins like this also.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU
          PEACE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 08:03:18 pm »
I just did a google search on "is glycerin water soluble" . It is. Wash it out. :D

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:38 pm »
Thanks the feedback guys. I went over to my friend house today to look at his skins, he thought he had them hanging on his basement wall and they were not there. He is in a wheelchair and the elevator to the basement has been broke a couple of years and he has'nt been down there in a while so Isn't sure where his wife may have moved them. He is gonna find out and if so then we will have some for the back of his bow. I thought I had a set for back up but when I looked in the little plastic bag they were in in my shed there was only one...hmmmm. I think I may have been raided by a pack rat.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God