Author Topic: Curing Sinew  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Kegan

Curing Sinew
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:29:40 pm »
Sinewed one of the bows I've been working on this morning- a little short one. The sienw is pretty thin, barely over an 1/8", mainly to hold the whole thing together, hopefully give it a pound or two. I glued it with wiht Knox. When I was done, set it over the fireplace in the corner to dry, with the other bows I've been curing (the wood is still at 12% anyway, 'so if it didn't help the sinew', I figured).

Went back an hour or so later and saw that it had turned a beautiful amber color, with only the middle (which was slightly thicker than the edges) being white-ish anymore.

With that in mind, how long should I wait to get back to tillering? Day or two or should I still let it sit a week or so?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Curing Sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:34:51 pm »
I wouldn't touch It for at least a week....the last one I tried to work too early ended up separating ....and I had to re work the Back.....and thats a Pain
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »
Kegan, On the few sinewed bows I have made I waited a month after each course of sinew. Even though it might look dry, not only is there still moisture in the sinew/glue but the 12% wood has now soaked up some of that moisture and it needs to rid itself of that moisture. With all the work sinew is to put down, it would be a shame to have it screw up now. One of the most important tools in wood bow making is patience! Go on to your next bow and give this one a month to be sure all of the added moisture is gone.   ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:29:20 pm »
Thanks! If that's the case I just have to pick which bow-in-progress to attack next >:D!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 05:34:36 pm »
Sounds like you are well prepared for the wait! 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Hartung

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:12:39 am »
set it over the fireplace in the corner to dry, with the other bows I've been curing

Bows and sinew over the fireplace?  ???

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:36 am »
I have resumed tillering after a couple weeks of drying time in warm and very dry air but I do prefer to wait at least a month
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »
set it over the fireplace in the corner to dry, with the other bows I've been curing

Bows and sinew over the fireplace?  ???

Mhmm. It's really dry, and warm. It's an old metal one that stands off the wall.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:44 pm »
I'm more concerned with drying to fast.  I had one in the summer time with 100* and 10% humidity that the sinew dried and cracked. I think it is wiser to dry things (wood or sinew) a little more natural, not forcing them to dry to fast.  I would move it at least a little way away from the fire. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:21 pm »
Justin- Good point. But the rest of the house is only about 50 degrees or so, and it's on top of the fireplace- warm and dry, but not hot (unless I leave it agaisnt the chimney :-X- two of my otehr bows now have little dark "character" spots on 'em). The wood is holding around 12%, so I'll keep it rhrefor a while, checking it every now and then. Hickory may make some awsome bows, but it is a bear to season in the wood :P.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:58:17 pm »
Hickory may make some awsome bows, but it is a bear to season in the wood :P.
If any of you guys are having a hard time drying hickory, I can help you out.  It dries real quick here and never gets wet again so send it down and I will take care of it for you.  ;) I will even send you pictures of the bows.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:11:12 pm »
  Kegan, I wait at least a month after I put it in a hot box. I will put on another course if it turns amber and is not milky. But then back in the box.  Drying it too fast is more like cooking,it makes long chewing jerky.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?