Author Topic: Aging osage with Ammonia.... I mean Lye (pic added)  (Read 8798 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Aging osage with Ammonia
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »
I did Chris and it looks killer.  I sanded again with OO Steel wool after and wiped the dry residue with a wet cloth. I noticed it has some areas that turned almost oxblood red. Very striking effect.

Matt I dont know what kind of effect it will have but try it on a scrap piece and see.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 12:53:44 pm »
I just worry about the chemicals in that make it work so good. Cant be good for a living bow, can it?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
Well I guess Ill find out if it has any negative effects. Last I checked though this piece of wood died in 2009 when it was cut down and processed.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »
Tree killer.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 07:32:14 pm »
my wife was making soap with a friend, i asked for a couple drops of lye on a yew off cut,
it for sure gave it the old yew bow look, but im sort of with PD, not sure if it'll be bad news for the wood fibres.
i'll probably end up trying this out regardless
the dark blotch is the lye, top half is one heavy coat of tru oil, bottom has nothing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 07:46:07 pm »
Tree killer.

Makes me sick.......
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 09:32:03 pm »
Hows this for a transformation. The bright yellow streek in the background is freshly chased osage rings on the back of my next shorty and the bow in front is a just finished piece that has been treated with Lye. You cannot believe the dynamic change and how well it shines in the sunlight. I say its a winner winner chicken dinner.

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Aging osage with Ammonia.... I mean Lye (pic added)
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:52 pm »
Oh and Ryan and Chris your probabley right, I wouldn't try it on Yew, I doubt it could handle it. Osage being the "King" that it is can handle just about anything including being treated with Lye.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 11:17:38 pm »
Just for that I'll try it on my next bow !  >:D

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 07:43:19 am »
Sweet, thanks for taking the time to experiment and post your results.  That really turned out nice.  I hope it stands the test of time for you.