Author Topic: Iced in; Looking at Arrows  (Read 2242 times)

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Iced in; Looking at Arrows
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:38:07 pm »
North Texas is iced over this morning, so spent some time perusing the National Museum of Natural History’s ethnology collection. I remember reading Jim Hamm’s book shortly after it was published. In the book, he writes about a set of Comanche arrows made of reed, and a set dyed with laundry bluing. I am not certain, but I bet these are the arrows he wrote about. I figured I would post them regardless.

A question I have; might these actually be Apache arrows that were captured by a Comanche? I don’t know of any other set of Comanche arrows made of reed. There are a lot of Apache reed arrows.  It is well documented that they had an intense hatred for one another. I am thinking these may be spoils of war.   

I am also posting a couple with rolled metal points. It seems like he wrote of these also.
                                                                                                                                                    Curtis 

Offline comebackshane

Re: Iced in; Looking at Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:19:19 pm »
could be, they sure seem out of place for Comanche arrows.  I love that website though, I have spent many hours looking through their collections. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:41 pm »
Thanks for posting the pictures.  If its not a commercial site could you post a link to the website?  If it is commercial in any way just delete one of the W's in the link or send it in a PM if you don't mind. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:28:28 pm »
Osage Outlaw, this isn't commercial. It is a museum site. Here is the address; http://collections.nmnh.si.edu/search/anth/
When you get to the page, got to "search by field". At "Division" there is a drop down box. You want "Ethnology".
Most of the images can be resized, and you can save any of the photos. They have some great stuff. 

Comebackshane, you iced in today also?  You are right,,,,,, lots of hours spent on this site!    CC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:47:29 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:02:16 pm »
no not really, just kind of wet and slushy this far east.

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:09:42 pm »
now that I look at it that's the Smithsonian site, the one I like to look at is http://www.amnh.org/our-research/anthropology/collections/database  , if you click on north America, you can search by tribe, or region of the country or by item. 

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »
Oh yes, the AMNH site is a great one too. If you spent hours on the AMNH site, you better be prepared to settle in for a while on the NMNH site. You can get a lot of nice details on most of the pieces. There are multiple views of many, and they are easy to save. They are still putting new things on there as well.    CC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:23:23 pm »
Hmmph.  I worked today.  My guess is you'll stay home tomorrow as well since you'll be tired from all the "research" today.  Course, spring break's just around the corner so there's that you can always look forward to for some much needed rest. 

Oh, almost forgot.  :) :o 8) >:D O:)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:28:53 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:03 pm »
Second photo, top two arrows. Great horned owl fletching, or I miss my guess.  Those are the first non-contemporary N.A. arrows I have ever seen with owl fletching. I have never doubted they used them, but I had yet to see properly documented historical examples until now.

Niiiiiiice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.