Author Topic: silver smithing question s  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Renacs

silver smithing question s
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:00:30 pm »
 This isn't bow related but my wife has been learning silver smithing over the last couple of years.  The problem is that there is limited resources on the web. She has taken  classes $, but as far as we know there's little on YouTube and no great sites like this one. Does anyone know some web resources that are out there? Specifically how to make a good open back, bezel?
                                                      Thanks Joe

Offline stickbender

Re: silver smithing question s
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:26:13 pm »
     First of all, let me say, this is just an idea of how I would do it.  I am not a silver smith!  But I have done silver jewelry, back in the early seventies, when I was a Dental lab tech.  I made conchos, crosses, animals,and turquoise jewelry.  Haven't done any since.  But not knowing what you want to put in an open backed bezel, it is hard to get an idea about what steps to take.  Again, I am NOT a silver smith.  Once something is soldered, the solder, will take a higher temp. to melt, than when it was first soldered.  So if you want to solder something next to something that was soldered, you can do it without melting the previous solder point.  But you have to be careful as to how much heat you apply, and for how long.  I hope this helps, but it is probably something she already knows.  Keep searching for silver working, making silver jewelry, tips for making silver jewelry, etc. just keep searching, and changing the wording.  Something will turn up.
     What is going to go in the bezel?  You can use sheet silver, and either cut out a piece in the shape you want, and form it to fit the piece you want in it, and then use a jewelers saw to cut the back out, or you can cut an appropriate sized strip and form it to the shape of the object you are putting in the bezel, and cut the overlapping piece off, and then remove the object, and silver solder the strip.  If you are going to bend the top part of the bezel over, you can do that either before, or after you have the object in the bezel.
Or you can do that to fit, and then cut the corners to bend, and then remove the bezel, and solder the joints, or cut them in a decorative style.  Being a dental lab tech, I would sometimes just make the piece in wax, and then cast it, and do final fitting, afterward.  Wish I could be more helpful. :(

Wayne

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:26:56 pm »
I have a few books on the subject, I'll look them up and give you the info,been a jeweler for 12 years, I would just sent you the books but I still use them for ideas give a few days they are at my shop which it will be this weekend before I get there, and stickbender I was also a dental tech for about 13 years.
john 3:16

Offline Renacs

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:28:43 pm »
Thanks Wayne. I'll share to info.

Offline Renacs

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:30:39 pm »
And thank river. Anything would be helpful for her.  We're lucky to have the community that we  do.
                                  Thanks joe

Offline Renacs

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:33:04 pm »
 Stockbroker she uses different stones. I'm leaning with her,but not silver smithing. Just listening.

Offline Silver John

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:46:37 pm »
I have been working with silver since 1991 and have the following suggestions for your wife.  On line there are a couple of sources I would recommend.
                www.ganoksin.com has a site similar to this one.  It is called Orchid.  They have a huge archive of how to's.   You will be viewing input from people all around the world.

Brad Simon does an e-magazine called The Bench Jeweler.  Do an on line search and you should find it.

Local rock and mineral clubs almost always have a silversmith in there membership.  From my experience classes are very reasonable for club members.

Another option would be to contact me off of this message board and I am willing to talk with her directly and talk her through the process of making a step bezel setting.

John

Offline Renacs

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:10 pm »
Thanks John we really appreciate it.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:49 pm »
also check ijsinc.com that's Indian jewelry supplies great site for silver, stones, tools . I buy from there.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »
Well there  you go!  Problem solved!  what a site!  Rover Brewer, I was only half a CDT.  Never finished the testing.  Got tired of eating bushes for a living, and got into construction, then electricians helper, odd jobs, and then into the Fire dept.  "Retired, and living La Dolce' Vita!"  Well sort of .  I loved the work, just not the pay.  Where I was there was a Plethora of Dental techs.  there was a school, in Miami, one in Lake Worth, where I went, and one in Tampa, and one in Jacksonville, so there was a large pool of Dental Lab Techs, and were a dime a dozen, and no need to pay anything worth while for their skills, and services.  The Labs didn't pay much either.  So did not work that many years in it, before my stomach contacted the brain, and told it, if I didn't get another job, it was going bribe the bowels into shutting down for a couple of days! :o  so needless to say, I went looking for another career!  Glad I did.
Not sure what his wife was looking for, but it sounds you guys got her on the right track. 

Wayne

Offline Renacs

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:38:39 am »
 yes the advise helped out, now she just needs to learn that not everything will turn out good.  lord knows i do. Heck i rhink i mess up more now than before. maybe ignorance is bliss.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:39:21 am »
You never know what interesting subjects you will find here!  Years ago I used to do lost wax casting to make watch bands.  I still have all the equipment and am using the last of my old silver cast arrowheads in a belt buckle.  I have been trying to remember the weight ratio of silver to wax maybe 12 to one?  Have been thinking of making some silver replicas of some of my arrowheads.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Renacs

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
 Silver arrowhead would be sweet. Perfect for werewolves season

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 05:17:16 pm »
ok this is one of the books , anyone thinking of doing any jewelry work I recommend this book, The Complete Book of Jewelry Making  by Carles Codina, Larks Books publishing

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 05:21:16 pm »
you can find it on amazon for $7.85 - $14.00