Author Topic: PHOTOS: Holy Grail Overshot/Outrepasse Test 14  (Read 3106 times)

AncientTech

PHOTOS: Holy Grail Overshot/Outrepasse Test 14
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:16:28 pm »
This is Test 14 of Holy Grail Outrepasse/Overshot flaking.  Actually, I was not expecting to pull an outrepasse of the convex side of this uniface.  But, I saw a slight possibility about halfway through (after throwing a series of flutes), and I crossed my fingers.  Well, the technology worked better than expected, as oftentimes happens.  Also, the point is not yet finished.  So, this is the stage prior to pressure work.  I will post the "finished point" (obliteration of previous stages) in a few days.

The slight half-moon shaped fragment, is part of the far side that came out.  This makes it a true outrepasse/overshot.  Also, the stone is raw, but fairly brittle (at least to me).

I am sure that the professional flake readers can see that this involves a simple combination of four static pressures, one dynamic pressure that increases during impact, percussive forces, leverage/bending/torque, and an array of forces that may exert themselves against each other during impact, with potential increases and decreases of each force, occurring during detachment.   

PART 2 -

It was time to make a "finished point".  (By the way, finished points do more to hide technologies, than to reveal them, in many instances - Crabtree's Theorem.)   

I was intending to stick with pressure.  But, I had to revert to a prior technological stage, in at least one instance.  (Like late stage fluting...)

There is now a three quarter length flake removal mid-section.  This is less than a outrepasse flake, and less than a coast to coast flake.  Stoppage occurred at the point where excessive mass can be seen near the far end.  This flake is actually significant for a number of reasons, even though it does not appear as "glorious" as a full blown outrepasse flake.

I decided to remove a controlled coast to coast flake from near the upper end, because the end was not quite thin enough.  It is much safer to remove a controlled coast to coast flake from the end, than to remove a controlled overshot, from the end.  The difficulty with the controlled overshot is that there is a greater risk of losing control, and taking off the end, too.  So, stick with controlled coast to coast flakes, when near the ends.

Now, I am blending my controlled coast to coast flaking with pressure flaking.  Eventually, the coast to coast flake, will look like a "flat spot", surrounded by pressure flaking.

So, here is the finished point (which actually hides the technologies.)

So, now the professional flake readers can see that this piece exhibits the full range of flaking, from outrepasse, to coast to coast, to 3/4 length flaking, to fluting - four types of flaking.  And, unlike baton knapping, and even hammerstone knapping, these removals can be made from inside indentations, which is something that basically precludes the possibility of hammerstone flaking, and baton flaking. 

Also, the flaking technology was identified by a past researcher, prior to the current century, and prior to the last century.  This demonstrates that one cannot presume that controlled overshot is a positive sign of a distinctive overshot technology.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:37:02 am by AncientTech »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: PHOTOS: Holy Grail Overshot/Outrepasse Test 14
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:17:51 pm »
 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Silver John

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:33:03 pm »
Nice save.  The point looks great and thin.

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:08:13 pm »
Question: What do you mean by "...And, unlike baton knapping, and even hammerstone knapping, these removals can be made from inside indentations, which is something that basically precludes the possibility of hammerstone flaking, and baton flaking."

Are you referring to flakes being removed through pressure?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:17:32 pm »
...or a punch?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »
hmm...never considered a punch....did I miss that in the post somewhere?