Author Topic: Power planer  (Read 3298 times)

Offline DC

Power planer
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:32:44 pm »
Has anyone used a power planer for roughing out, maybe floor tillering? I thought it might take a little strain off my shoulders. I would still use a rasp/scraper for tillering.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Power planer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »
  I replaced my big dangerous jointer with jigs and a hand power planer, and I use it a heck of a lot, but mostly for laminated bows and handle blocks and stuff, and prepping backings.

I have used it to accelerate the thinning of limbs on board bows, just by taking them down slowly and leaving the little stair steps where the handle/fades will be.

On a stave bow?  No, can't say I have.  The lumps and bumps, and the need to secure the work doesn't seem to make it eiither easy or safe, exactly.  Now that you mention it, though, I can see myself using it to shave down knot wood with a stave clmped on the bench.  That's one place a machete or drawknife seems to want to chip up and split stuff where the grain curls.

Obligatory:  Just use good sense on safety.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:04:13 pm »
I use mine to reduce bamboo backing, and to taper lams
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »
I was thinking about mounting it upside down in a workmate or something and using it like a jointer and just freehand the stave in it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:35:26 pm »
I use a hand held power planer to remove bark and sapwood, works like a charm, especially compared to a draw knife....Thanks gmc... ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:44 pm »
I use a hand held power planer to remove bark and sapwood, works like a charm, especially compared to a draw knife....Thanks gmc... ;)
DBar

+1 on the electric drawknife

Offline Treebeard

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 11:38:12 pm »
I use a power planer to cut the front profiles on my ipé/bamboo bows. I keep my hand planes ludicrously sharp, but they just seem to skid off of ipé.
I'm the other guy from Vancouver.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:06:11 am »
Hand planes don't like OS much either

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 03:18:00 am »
You'd be better off with a big beasty edge sander in my opinion.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:18 am »
I have a ryobi hand power planer I dont use. Anybody is welcome to it if they want. Let me know. I only mention this here cause it kinda goes with the subject.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 04:46:22 am »
I only used mine to put a flatter face onto a quarter log to help it run through the bandsaw.
I used it so seldom, I converted it to a thicknesser for billets. V handy for making tapered Yew heartwood billets... but you still have to get one face flat by good sawing etc.
I hate the noise... I think I'm getting less tolerant of noise as I get older... so shhhhhh ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 08:07:25 am »
I use one for roughing out power lams for trilam bows http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39970.msg533425.html#msg533425.  But the next hickory staves I get with firmly attached bark are gonna get attacked with Danzn Bar's use- "electric drawknife" indeed.

c.d.