Author Topic: whats the best finish for ipe?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
whats the best finish for ipe?
« on: February 14, 2015, 06:39:06 am »
I've got poly, wiped on poly, birchwood casey tru-oil, spar varnish (im not sure if it's goot though). And I've goot beeswax.  What would be the best? I was thinking of several coats of tru-oil and beeswax over that.   Also what is the likelihood that butcher block oil would be a good Finish I've got some of that too. Thanks
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline cdpbrewer

Re: whats the best finish for ipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:33:05 am »
Oil based poly, spar varnish and wiped on poly and birchwood casey tru-oil won't dry on IPE because it's so oily.  Don't know about water based stuff or butcher block finish.   I use a coat of shellac to seal off the oil.   Additional coats can be any of the above except for maybe the butcher block finish if it contains alcohol.   Here's a good recent thread on bow finishes:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50644.0.html

c.d.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:37:17 am »
Wipe a coat of shellac on first, then you can use anything you chose over that and it will dry normally. Poly will dry on ipe on its own, Ive done it several times. It can take up to two weeks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »
Oil based poly, spar varnish and wiped on poly and birchwood casey tru-oil won't dry on IPE because it's so oily.  Don't know about water based stuff or butcher block finish.   I use a coat of shellac to seal off the oil.   Additional coats can be any of the above except for maybe the butcher block finish if it contains alcohol.   Here's a good recent thread on bow finishes:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50644.0.html

c.d.

Wipe on poly dries just fine on ipe. It's all I use.