Author Topic: idea for forum ?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline IndianKid

idea for forum ?
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:41:29 am »
Just a thought, wondering what folks here think,
From the North East, I never had the opportunity to learn about every tree type
that grows around these parts, or be able to recognize every one
by sight.  it's always been an interest but
for what ever reason didn't pay it much mind.
now, I know what cherry, beech, oak, maple, aspen, birch
look like, but often there's one that I just can't figure out.
do other people here have this problem ?

sure, you could buy a book, I have, but we'll it's not always
easy. I tried Google, but one tree depending on age and size
could have 3 very different stages.

soooo would you benefit if there was a forum where you
could post a pic to get help ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: idea for forum ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:13 am »
I bought a state specific hand book in color and its ultra simple to know what Im looking at, not to mention after a few years you will know nearly every tree you look at. Fair lesson for $12.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:28 am »
 You're on that forum.  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:59 am »
If you have one your stumped on post some pics of it...lots of folks here will prob know,and like me enjoy the challenge of trying to id them by pics ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:09:49 am »
"I've always been interested, but..."  :-\
I've always been interested in trees too and way before I started building wood bows. I bought an Audubon Field Guide of North American Trees -  Eastern varieties and carried it out with me every time I walked in the woods. I started out looking at a tree and tried to ID it then checked the book to be sure...and it is not only the bark. I looked at the overall shape and form of the tree(branch angle off of the trunk, overall shape; even in a heavily wooded area you can tell the limb angle and basic shape). Then the leaves(in summer) or twigs and buds(in winter). After I got good at this I'd try to ID the tree by looking only at the bottom 4' of the tree because trees of different ages have different bark forms. The bark changes as the tree ages.
 In the winter, some trees hold their leaves well into the winter, like red oaks and beeches. That can be a big help. Bud shape and size is another winter time ID. Flowers in the spring or summer is another or fruit in the summer or fall. The best ID for most plants is the flowers...the true flower and not just the colorful pedals.
...and of course posting them here is another but you have to give us something to work with and not just the trunk or wood. All the things I mentioned above will be needed. Where is the tree growing? is it primarily along ridges, in wet areas, north side or only in full sun.  Many of the trees that we use to build bows are similar to Pearlie, Blackhawk , yourself and me because we live in the eastern US but each area might have varieties particular to that area so a good description is needed.
 If you really want to learn trees, you can but you'll have to do a little homework and really want to know.
 The Cooperative Extension Service, State Forest Service, Federal Forest Service, local arborist or tree service and local landscape services all have info about trees in your area and ones that will grow in your area. Most will also have pamphlets to help you ID different trees. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:16:09 pm »
There is also an app (easy to find) for the smart phone which IDs tree from pics you take of the leaves.  Does not work 100%, but it is pretty good, as it will list the likely candidates.   I think it is from the Smithsonian. 

Russ   

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »
Leafsnap. I had it but found it pretty useless for our trees here in Texas. Maybe for trees in the NE of the country it works better.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:37:01 pm »
There are other forums out there that can ID trees for you.  They'll have a section specifically for IDing plants.  I use eat the weeds forum for my IDs.  Also, I'm friends with an arborist so I'll ask him some.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline IndianKid

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:35:39 pm »
Thanks to all who responded!  because it's winter, and we have had some strong winds there isn't a
leaf on a tree that's recognizable... I bought the book Bark, for figuring out just by bark. it's pretty good
but I see some trees that could be 1 of 3 or 4 types and some that aren't described..

I will certainly look for more info, and start in the areas mentioned by Pat !

hopefully later or tomorrow I will post a few pics of some trees that I can't figure out. .

Offline DavidV

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 03:08:01 pm »
This forum is actually really good at tree and wood ID. Woodworking forums (especially reddit) are terrible. And open grained wood is red oak, softwoods are pine, etc.

You can get a used tree ID book for nothing and for the most part it won't be any different than now. Try out a dichotomous key one day on a hike and after experience you can ID most trees in winter.
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 05:22:06 pm »
Generally, in winter twigs and buds are your best ID method. Each genera and species has it's own specifics, from bud shape and size, from the bud scales and leaf scars; there are lots of ways to ID plants besides the usual bark and leaf ID. Both of these can be mistaken because many trees have similar barks and/or leaves.
 A book like the Audubon series have leaf(summer and fall color), bark, twigs and buds, flowers and has a good key in the front of the book for IDing by toothed, lobed or entire leaf edges, simple, palmately compound, odd or even pinnate or bipinnately compound leaves. Whether the leaves are opposite or alternate and you can tell this by the buds in the winter. 
  There is lots of good info if you want to learn and your local library has lots of books on local tree ID or they will order one for you...and it is free.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 06:27:04 pm »
Look online and see if a local university has a website with the info. Utah State University has one with most of the trees that grow here. With Photos, Growth rate, and growing tolerances. As well as what zones they grow in, wood use, and what the wood is used for.

http://www.treebrowser.org/

I found the link by searching USU tree, and the rest came up on its own. I have realized that a lot of the trees I am looking for are trees that I have seen around for years, but didn't know what they were. Good Luck.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.