Author Topic: reflexed pacific yew warbow dimensions?  (Read 8051 times)

Offline P.W. Smith

reflexed pacific yew warbow dimensions?
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:53:41 pm »
hello fellow english warbow users!
I have cut a 1 1/2 inch thick, 2 inch wide, and 85 inch long good quality stave of Pacific yew. The only problem is that the bow has about 6 inches of reflex in it prior to tillering. Does anyone have any ideas about dimensions for this bow, as well as suggestions on how to proceed with tillering this bow? I'm looking for 100 lbs at 30 inches (I'm doing this for a school project and need to give a demo of an english warbow's strength).
Thanks for your help,
Derek

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: reflexed pacific yew warbow dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:44:38 pm »
Assuming you have good dense wood then start by roughing the stave out to about 1 5/8" wide by 1 3/8" thick tapering to about 3/4" at the tips. To tiller I clamp the bow sideways in a vise and work the limbs by hand, keeping an eye on how the limbs bend and making adjustments where needed. Once I have the limbs bending well I use a long string but still keep the bow clamped in the vise till I have the bow tillered to past brace height
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:45:23 pm »
Hey Derek,

That sounds like quite a stave.  Was it split from a larger log or was it a sapling or branch? 

As far as tillering a stave with that much reflex, you may find as you begin to tiller that you lose it quickly, or that it may be nearly impossible to work with.  If it were me, I would tiller it to brace height at full length to get the wood used to bending.  Once it's braced you could leave it strung for a day to cook a little of that reflex out.  Once you've tillered to full draw and the bow is used to bending and shows signs of being willing to bend further, you could shorten it and retiller. 

Basically, you're in for a challenge making an ELB out of a stave with that much reflex.  I know Marc did it, but that was an impressive feat. 

1 1/2" wide at the grip and tapered to 1/2" nocks is about what you're looking for. 

J. D.

Offline P.W. Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:01:45 pm »
thanks guys!
J.D.- it was a a 3 inch thick branch at one time (not any more!!) ;), but I will try to get a bow out of it...if not, there's plenty more where that came from!!  ;D
Mark- Thanks for the idea with a vise...I'll try to get the bow to work.
But, in the meantime, any tips for drying yew quickly? The project is due in three weeks, and, if the bow falls through, I'll need to cut and quickly dry another yew stave...but I hope that doesn't happen!
Derek

duffontap

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:32:36 pm »
Carefully take the bark off and put a dab of white or yellow wood glue on any knots on the back.  Reduce it to approximate bow dimensions and get to work.  The extra moisture won't help performance but it may help some of that reflex to melt away. 

Word of warning:  your limb may increase in reflex day by day so you should get to work on it before you have 14" of reflex. 

J. D.

Offline P.W. Smith

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:06:34 pm »
okey-dokey...J.D., I'm going to get to work on the stave, as per your suggestion, and today I'm going to cut some more yew staves, as a backup plan... :)
Derek