Author Topic: String alignment help please  (Read 1899 times)

Offline DC

String alignment help please
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:04 pm »
I'm trying to move the string to the left. Following this "Mechanics of limb twisting" thread  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.msg364231.html#msg364231   
I scraped the belly in the area marked (poorly) in red. It didn't do much and may have made it worse. Did I scrape in the right spot? Should I bend a limb? Which one?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:24:42 pm by DC »

Offline DC

Re: String alignment help please
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:49:08 pm »
Sorry. I just took another look at it unbraced and the alignment is out then too. I will bend a limb. "Look twice scrape once" or something similar :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
Scraping one side of a limb works for prop twist. If you have string alignment issues, you need to heat correct the limbs. Remember, the string only has to align between the nocks and thru the center of the grip... what happens between those 3 points is open. You can also manipulate string alignment with the nocks if you've left yourself extra width to do so. Also keeping in mind... if you've scraped both limbs unevenly on the same side, you'll get twist in the same direction, giving you string misalignment. The limb will twist towards the weak side, where you've removed too much wood. Solution... make sure you're removing wood evenly throughout the tillering process. Most people will tend to pull towards their strong hand while scraping. Be aware, and check often that you're removing wood and keeping the belly flat (for a flatbow).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:07:44 pm by adb »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:44 pm »
I would ask if you have JUST an alignment issue, or the limb is twisting from dead flat when unstrung to twisted when strung or drawn.  If it's the former then the prescription for me would be different than the latter.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:04:21 pm »
A little dry heat sorted it out. I was confusing the problem. I thought it was twisting as it was being braced/drawn but as it turned out it was just alignment. Petty sure my head is straight now. Thanks

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:46:50 pm »
Glad you got it sorted. Prop twist and string alignment are usually separate issues, with different solutions.

Offline Cade

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but can prop twist that is visable before it's even bent be taken out by scraping on the strong side. Or is it only twist that happens when the bow is strung/drawn?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:24:43 pm »
Prop twist that is present before brace is most likely the result of the grain of the wood and the way it dried.  There may or may not be a "strong" side.  I would use heat to try and "untwist" if it is causing problems.  Some of my bows just have a little twist to them and it doesn't seem to hurt them when shooting.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Cade

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:21 am »
Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I need to go find my heat gun.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
Here area couple of tips for other bows.

First leave the nocks wide...like an inch. That way you can cut the nock deeper on the offending side.

Second, leave the handle wide...ful width. That way you can finish the handle so that the string tracks.

I don't usually fuss to get the string in the center. If it is on the handle I am happy. Then I can play the 2 points  above.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:54:15 pm »
agreed prop twist is better taken out with untwisting with heat,,
what Jawge said on lining the string,, I will bend at the handle if needed,, doesnt take much,,and I am not that fussy about it,, I just shoot the bow with the string to the arrow side,,if it shoots well I leave it,, I will fine tune if I think the arrow is not acting right :) most of my bows are osage,,, so i have become accustomed to dealing with twist ,, dog leg,,, whopptie doos,,, and not being able to line everything up,,,,but still getting a good shooter,, aligning the bow and tips and handle to  the string as well