Author Topic: Did I score or just get firewood?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline seminolewind

Did I score or just get firewood?
« on: January 24, 2015, 02:41:28 pm »
I had to cut a couple large grapefruit trees from my lot where I am building my new house. Its a shame to see them go but they are too close to the footers. Anyway there are a couple big straight logs here the grain looks pretty straight as well. Is this bow wood and should i peel them and split them into quarters?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

mikekeswick

Re: Did I score or just get firewood?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:50:10 pm »
I'd say that's a score  :)
I've never used it but I can't see why there isn't a few bows in there. Personally I'd be worried about checking so I'd leave the bark on and split them in to halves and see how they do. Split/saw further once they have lost the initial chunk of moisture. Of course seal the ends well with pva or similar.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:19:59 pm »
I agree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:36:25 pm »
Ok thanks guys have you ever seen a bow or heard of one being made from this wood?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:54:30 pm »
Score I hear it's good wood. I'm in the Tampa area too and have a couple pipe straight ones in my yard I will be chopping down soon too. I have never seen one of that diameter and straightness. Looks like a killer find. Makes wood for cooking and smoking  too.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:08:23 pm »
Generally speaking fruit bearing trees usually make good bow woods.
E

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 05:38:17 am »
Ok thanks guys have you ever seen a bow or heard of one being made from this wood?

No, but I have seen one made from what the guy called "wild sour orange tree" wood (growing in the sticks in Florida), and one made from a lemon tree (not Cuban lemonwood). The orange looked much the same on the bark and the wood was the same color.  About all I could tell you.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 12:48:14 pm »
How long Elijah?  I took mine down a few months back but no real straight pieces.  Beautiful wood, though.
1’—>1’

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »
    keep us up to date. very interested to see one finished. a friend of mine has convinced me that wax is the best choice for sealing the ends. once you have the set up, paraffin, pot, and heat source. very fast and very thorough, just the ends

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club