Author Topic: Osage Lefty  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Osage Lefty
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:02:32 pm »
Hi, Y'all,
Here's one I made for a hunting buddy I'm trying to draw away from wheely-bows.  This one is about as simple as they get.  It's stiff-tipped, kinda-sorta Holmish.

It was a pretty small Osage limb, with a twisty bend in the middle.  The way the handle area bent, I decided it was meant to be a lefty, which my friend conveniently is.  I didn't have much wood to work with, so the dimensions are pretty small.  Here are the specs:  61" n-n, 1 1/4" width at the fades, down to just under 1/2" at the tips, 1" of reflex from flipping the tips a bit, 60# @ 28", and only 18 oz.  Somehow, I managed to get a hunting-weight bow out of it, in spite of it's size and weight.  Not sure how, but I'll take it.

I didn't fancy it up at all, just gave it a leather grip and died it black.  The way it turned out, all black and gnarly,  it kinda reminds of an Orc's bow from the movies.  Bois d'Orc?  Anyway, I digress.  Here's the pics.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: Osage Lefty
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:04:02 pm »
More pics...

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »
Looks like she is hinging out of the fades.  The outer limbs are stiffy.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:26:42 pm »
I like it! It may look hinged because it's not pulling the reflexed tips around that much.
Bois D'Orc? You gotta be all kinds of nerdrage to think of that. More like Bois Dork.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »
  Nice gesture, try to pull him into the dark side >:D Get him hooked on it...Always fun giving a hand crafted bow to a bud...
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;