Author Topic: White ash, 58# @ 25"  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

White ash, 58# @ 25"
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:51:58 pm »
It's been a while since I've posted a bow and figured this would be a good one. A friend of one of my buddies decided he wanted to try a wood bow since he's been using a glass for a few years and wanted as uncharactered piece as possible. The only thing I had that was close to perfectly straight and knot free was some white ash. With this bow I think I made him a convert, this bow was much lighter, faster and quieter than the bow he had been using. This made him very happy. The stave had a little kink in one limb that I bend out with dry heat and since it already had a little bit of a natural reflex/deflex shape i decided to exaggerate it a little more. I gave it an inch of deflex and 2 1/2" of relex from the bottom of the curve and heat treated it on the form. It ended up with an inch of total reflex straight off the form. And by the time it was finished tillers it took about 1.5" of set with another 1/2" of string follow. Most of the set was the reflexes portion straightening. The guy wanted the back to be black so I ended up backing it with cotton for looks. The nocks are deer antler with a second set of string grooves to use with a stringer. This gave a little handshock but nothing major.and in trade he is going to mount up a few muskrats for me since he does taxidermy as a hobby.

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: White ash, 58# @ 25"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:54:36 pm »
Full draw, which for him is only about 22" and the bow after 100 arrows.

Kyle

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:48 pm »
Good clean work in that, bet it's got a smooth draw!
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
Thanks, it's very smooth drawing.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:09:04 pm »
I love the reflex deflex profile, pretty bow man  8)
I like osage