Author Topic: Hide glue and rawhide backings  (Read 2100 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Hide glue and rawhide backings
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:44:38 pm »
How effective is using hide glue from granuals with a goat rawhide backing?

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Hide glue and rawhide backings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:55:22 pm »
It is quite effective. I have used hide glue for deer rawhide backing. Goat should be no different. The only drawback is that it is more susceptible to moisture than wood glue, such as titebond II.

There are old world recipes out there for making hide glue extremely moisture resistant, sucha as adding oak gall tannins to your mix, but I havent experimented enough with those yet to make any suggestions.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 02:54:12 pm »
I will say when trying to soak off a sinew back with hide glue,, it is much more resistant to moisture than I imagined,,
it really took a soak and lot of hard work to get it off,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »
I always use TB3 on rawhide for the same reason Carson mentioned, waterproof toughness. If the rawhide needed to move to work, like sinew,  Id use hide glue.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 05:05:18 pm »
I've used hide glue on the last couple of rawhide backed bows I've built and like it. I get better adhesion with less air bubbles when using hide glue.
 If you are sealing your finished bow well, moisture shouldn't be any more a problem than when using TB glues. Like Brad said, I also had a heck of a time getting sinew off a broken bow by soaking it in warm water.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC