Author Topic: glue up and winter storage?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
glue up and winter storage?
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:09 pm »
This is a two part question, so here goes

1.  After making either self bows or glue up, whether finished or unfinished, what does it do to the bow if you leave them in a shed in all seasong.  No heat, No air.  What happens to these bow if it stays below freezing for a period.....or get extremely hot for extended periods?

2.  You have bows the you glued up with urac85 at room temperature.....74.  You put these bows in the car and go to a shoot when it is 100.  With the glue only being cured at 74, do you stand a chance of these bows coming unglued??????

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: glue up and winter storage?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:52 pm »
  Epoxy will come apart at freezing temperatures. I had one BBO come apart in many pieces in very cold weather. And the reason I no about the freezing weather and epoxy was a tip from this site many years ago. I accidently got glue in my takedown sleeves and a reader suggested freezing it. I hit it with liquid nitrogen and the epoxy crumbled and it came apart. When I'm at 3-D shoots I unstring my bow at lunch and keep it in the shade. I would never leave a bow in a hot car if it was a glue up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?