Author Topic: Bottom limb bend  (Read 2536 times)

Offline DC

Bottom limb bend
« on: December 27, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
I've noticed many times that in the full draw pictures that the bottom limb seem to be bent more. I know it's not faulty tiller because of the people that are posting them. Is this a camera angle thing or hand position or am I imagining it?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bottom limb bend
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »
Bottom limb is shorter as some of it is taken up with the grip, this often results in it having to bend a little more to give an even tiller. Conversely some people leave it stiffer to help compensate.
There are also some camera angle issues with bows... if you photograph leaning in a corner, the lower limb gets foreshortened unless you bend down to get the camera level with the grip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »
   Del is correct, but also string angle plays a huge part. Because of nocking point and an arrow pass above center the string angle on the lower limb becomes sharper...
                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:48:55 pm »
i dont really measure the positive tiller at brace,, self bows that are not so straight will fool you,, I like the positive tiller to be at full draw,,, if the bottom limb is weaker at full draw I will adjust it,, unless it is just shooting great,,, :) and it will have the appearance of being a bit stiff,,

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:01:33 pm »
I noticed this on some of my first bows too. Looked fine on the tiller tree, but changed in my hand.
try to get your last few inches of draw with your bow in hand, in front of the mirror or take photos.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »
I noticed this on some of my first bows too. Looked fine on the tiller tree, but changed in my hand.
try to get your last few inches of draw with your bow in hand, in front of the mirror or take photos.

I use my wife, she has been around a lot of good Bowyers. :) And, I usually leave my bottom limb a little tighter then the top, it takes more stress over the long haul.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:01:51 am »

Yep.....That right there helped my tillering efforts 100%........the last 3-4" in the hand, with my wife taking pictures. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 11:28:45 am »
   Del is correct, but also string angle plays a huge part. Because of nocking point and an arrow pass above center the string angle on the lower limb becomes sharper.

If I understand right, this is really often just an optical illusion.  The bottom limb can be bending less than the top and still look like this.

I do try for positive tiller, but often, as mentioned with bows from imperfect staves, I can often feel better than see it.