Author Topic: Tillering in the cold  (Read 1641 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Tillering in the cold
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:32:07 pm »
Safe? Experiences? I usually put the bow making aside in the winter, but I don't feel like stopping any time soon.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Tillering in the cold
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 05:50:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with tillering a self bow in the cold IMHO.It's been safe for me here.As long as your fingers can handle the temp it's ok.Winter is a good time to sinew bows too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:15:56 pm »
I've tillered bows in Temps that most folks would not care to bare.here in Manitoba the cold can be very cruel indeed.I belive the low humity could play a part more so than the Temps.if you store your wood inside it shouldn't be a prob
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 09:48:28 pm »
I've been tillering the last few days in mid 30's temp. No sweat at all! I've made a handful in the winter in an unheated garage. I like the way bows shoot in the winter too. Real snappy!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:34:21 pm »
If i was tillering in the mid 30's I don't think I'd be sweating either ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 10:54:18 pm »
The bow can take cold tillering better than I can.  Holding and working with cold tools and hands isn't conducive to good bow building.
  My basement shop gets to about 40 degrees or so in the cold of winter and that's when I work on bows. Colder than that would be too uncomfortable to me for building bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 05:27:38 am »
I like doing it in the cold weather, it is usually lower humidity here in TN. in the winter. I get a good fire going and go after it. My shop is open roof but after being out in it a while You just get use to it I guess.
Of course Spring and fall are the best times but for the last few years we go straight from Winter to Summer and from Summer to winter. :) Not much in between. :) Dang Global warming. ::)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good