Author Topic: A fix for slipping knots on FF type tillering strings  (Read 2186 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

A fix for slipping knots on FF type tillering strings
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:36:59 am »
I use Astroflight for making tillering strings since it doesn’t stretch nearly as much as dacron.   Alas, the stuff is slippery and the knots I use for adjusting the string length (a bowyer's knot and, my favorite, a slip type bowline) very frequently slip.  To eliminate that, I add a few strands of dacron to the end of string that will be knotted, braid it using a simple 3 bundle braid and whip the end with a wrapping of dacron to keep it together.

Attached are pics of a tillering string for 35# and under bows made of 7 strands of Astroflight (a screw-up!) and 5 of B55 dacron.   The braiding is 24" long so it can be used on really long and short bows.  When making one, allow for extra lenght since the braiding shortens the lenght of the final string.

The second pic shows a slip type bowline knot and a tied-on nock.   I've grown to really like tied-on nocks when making bows since there is no need to cut nocks and they can easily be moved to change the effective bow length.   The slip type bowline knot is easy to untie- just jerk on the tail/free end of the string.  It also doesn't slide off-center in the nock like a bowyer's knot tends to as it tightens and also provides a larger eye for easier nocking and un-nocking when tillering.  The last pic shows how to tie one.

c.d.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A fix for slipping knots on FF type tillering strings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:31:26 am »
Make about 10 various length strings and use the one that fits best. Tiller strings are nothing I like to mess with. I spend more time pissing with them than I do with a rasp in my hand. I now have a nail full of strings on my wall, one always fits whatever stage Im at.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »
I'm with pearlie, I have a small box of stings with tags on them so I can easily find the one that will work for whatever stage I'm at with whatever bow.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 02:52:44 am »
I double the number of threads for my loop and timber hitch so for a 16 thread fast flight string I make the last 8 inches 32 threads. The thicker hitch seems to slip a lot less. cheers fiddler49