Author Topic: Purple heart  (Read 8598 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Purple heart
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 09:26:56 am »
Popped a handle last night. May go with a stronger glue the next go around.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 09:54:12 am »
If you popped the handle, it's not likely the glue's fault... it's a design problem.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 10:24:58 am »
I would agree if the glue join didn't look strange. It almost looks like some of the glue didn't dry right. They were glued Monday, left clamped for 48 hours. I cut the final dimensions last night on one and gave it a little flex and it popped. I about messed my pants at the thought of braking such an expensive board. I looked it over, and the entire handle fell off. I had the handle of my first board bow pop also, but it is still on to the point that I would have to pry it the rest of the way off. I am hoping that these all work out. I understand that failure is something that happens to everyone. I just hope it isn't on a bow that isn't mine. I'll get some photos tonight and get them posted.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »
Popped handle?more likely the fade to handle transition wasn't right than the glue.Very common mistake for new guys,but I've been wrong before!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 06:31:41 pm »
Pat B posted a really good example on how to do it the right way.think it was a hickory backed degame(lemon wood) american longbow
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 10:18:40 am »
Due to time, I am calling it on at least a few of these. I still have the one that is mostly formed using my rasp, but the ones cut to 1/2 on the table saw are going to be cut and used for dress up on other bows. Even the fiberglass resin isn't sticking on this wood. Back to the drawing board.