Author Topic: Starting another one....and DONE.  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Gaust

Re: Starting another one....and DONE.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:31 am »
Thanks again all for your nice comments.

Don,  I cut my teeth on a dozen board bows backed with linen (four of which broke) before attempting unbacked self-bows like this one.  You guys inspired me, and, being retired, I had the time to do it right with all you members' helping me with your discussions, comments, and suggestions.  It's been a lot of fun so far, very fulfilling.  So glad I found this forum and Primitive Archer.  I'm where I want to be right now. 

IdahoMatt, the leaf thing is going to make me think about doing it to all species of bow woods from now on.  What do osage leaves look like on a bow, for example?  When we give a piece of wood new life, shouldn't its leaves and the rest of the tree be a part of that new life, too?  I thought about making a stain from the hackberry bark, but maybe for the next one.

I'll keep everyone posted on the leaves.  Who knows, Tru-Oil may not be the best preservative.  I know they won't shrink, but will the color remain?
G.

George.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
Nice finish big George! Great looking bow. Bet its a zippy one.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »
Thanks, Chris, for your build along and advice.  Keep posting your bows and I'll keep learning.
G.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 10:17:51 am »
For those of you interested, after the five coats of Tru-Oil I brushed on one coat of spar urethane on the leaves just for extra insurance  The leaves still have the texture and the colors seems to be holding up pretty well.
G.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 10:21:08 am »
Braced profile looks great

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 10:29:16 am »
Looks great in all aspects, cool finish. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gaust

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 10:47:24 am »
Thanks, Falcon, Pappy.

Pappy, I watched all the videos on your site and I hope someday to come visit.  Looks like my kinda place.  BTW, love your mulberry bow.
G.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 11:00:52 am »
Leaves are remarkable treatment.  Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »
Really nice. I think you did a fine job on that one and the leaves are unique and look great. Hope they last long term. It will add another neat backing one can do for decoration. Nice tiller as well. For your third bow I would say you are well on your way.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Gaust

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »
Appreciate the comments, Knoll, Danny.   I started this stave hoping for statics, but it didn't turn out that way.  I now have an idea on how to achieve that.  The leaves are nice and the bow shoots great and I'm happy, but I can't help but feel that I fell a little short on this one.
G.