Author Topic: drying on forms  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Postman

drying on forms
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:37:52 am »
I have half a dozen roughed staves from really fresh osage. - want to dry them all on forms at the same time, if possible, to induce reflex  - any ideas on doing a bunch at a time  without buying 20 more clamps? I've seen posts saying "strapping" them to forms..... can you clamp and then replace the clamps with something cheaper after a few days?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline tom sawyer

Re: drying on forms
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:44:09 am »
You can use rope to tie the ends down.  Tie them really tight and stretch the rope as much as possible.

It'd be easier to let them dry some, then correct the profile with a heatgun.  Osage takes a bend quite nicely, and I don't see where your method would produce superior results.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:25:28 pm »
Thanks  -  gotta stop these harebraned schemes before y'all label me "Mr. shortcut..."
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »
As I recall, Dean Torges talks about doing just what you are wanting to do, in his book Hunting the Osage Bow.  So it is far from being a shortcut.  Good luck and let us know how it works.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:49:47 pm »
It's an old and easy method- green wood bends to what ever shape you keep it in, why not exploit this >:D?

I clamp a bow down to the two by and then wrap it off with paracord. Jim Riggs uses it on survival bows, making deflexed recurves from green wood, and no heat.

Though green wood is good for putting recurves in with dry heat too ;).