Author Topic: Oceanspray tiller check  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Oceanspray tiller check
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:26 pm »

Hey Folks,

This is my "3rd" bow I'm in the process of tillering. 

It's Oceanspray harvested around feb. It had a bunch of deflex, and a bit of a crook which I heat treated out with a heat-gun and olive oil. So far the stave has held bend repair nicely, the deflex however has come back a bit.

It's 57" NTN and so far I guess its 60#@27" (It takes both arms to pull down when on the tiller tree).

Anyhow, any tips on the tiller would be great.

Offline DC

Re: Oceanspray tiller check
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:11:17 pm »
I think it looks good but wait for a more experienced opinion. Buy a couple more blocks(pulleys) to give yourself a mechanical advantage on the tree. It made a big difference on mine.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

Thanks  DC,

The right tip looks a little stiff still, I have a bunch of pulleys, (failed attempt at a canoe storage swing). I never thought about using them for tillering...

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:30:15 pm »
Yeah, I think I can see that. When I first started this I had a direct drive tree and my mind would not let me pull beyond 35#. When I put a couple of pulleys in it that problem just dissappeared

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 08:30:37 pm »
 If the right limb is your lower it might look different off the tree with you doing the pulling, lower limb might come around just a hair and be perfect. Looks awesome 8)  Set your nock point and take a self draw picture and I bet it will be on the money...
                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:16:00 pm »
Looks pretty darn good, nice to see another OS bowyer on board.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 02:11:05 am »
Yes draw them by hand from say 4 -5 inches short of your intended drawlength and use the timer to tkae hand drawn pictures. Hand drawing puts different stresses on a bow than a tillering tree does, The lower limb is almost always weak when it comes to hand drawing.

Offline randman

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 12:08:12 am »
Looks real nice....what everyone else said......you could raise your brace height a bit....can we see an unbraced shot? I don't need to see a profile shot, knowing ocean spray like I do, I know it's just a slender tapering thing...
Looks like you got a nice stash. You must be on Vancouver IS. or in the NW to get nice big ones like that. Love the stuff
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.