Author Topic: Rattan recurve bow..40lbs@ 28"  (Read 5123 times)

Offline akila

Rattan recurve bow..40lbs@ 28"
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »
This is the second bow...it looks a little diferent..it has a bigger handle, the limbs are wider, the bow is more powerfull..so here it is..40Lbs @ 28"...i have to say, that it feels really smooth, when i draw it..altough, it has the same lenght 55"..the only bad thing aboute this material, is the fact, that the surface, after the bow is pollished, etc, remains a little rough...you cannot really get a glass surface with rattan, and there are always small fibers, that will pop uf..i tried 2 things..first, shelack, but I'm not verry happy with the result, and on the other bow, i tried, to put on the belly, some resin, and to wipe the entire belly of the bow with resin...i have to see, wich works better...so, the idea is, that you need, some kind of lack, or something, that will keep those small fibers in place...this is moore for a matter of estethic i quess..the bow is perfectly fine ..here are the pictures.

Offline bow101

Re: Rattan recurve bow..40lbs@ 28"
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:53:25 pm »
Beautiful piece of work. I like the patina on that bow.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »
How durable is rattan? I can see it will bend hard, but how many times? Does the poundage drift downward after a few hundred shots?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
Nice curves!

Offline akila

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
I havent got the chance yet to shoot hundrets of arrows with them, but i will do this soon..maybe  this weekend..here in Germany, Ratan is consider to be a material of low quallity, and  its mainly used to make bows for children, but i really think that rattan, is underestimated..unfortunatly, i dont have an electronic scale, to weight the bows, but they are really light, concerning mass...its all most like you dont have anithing in your hand...the 40lbs bow, received a belly treatment with the heat gun...i tempered the belly, and i could feel a diference afterwords...the limbs spring back faster...I'v shoot the bow inside the apartment a fiew times and its really fast..now i have to see, how it behaves after a fiew hundrets arrows...i also found, some other guys, that are using rattan to make bows..one has even developt a method, and he builds rattan bows, with bamboo backing, and aparently they are crazy fast, and durabale, and the other guy, is building them, as normal, self bows, and the bows are as fast, as any other normal laminate fiberglass bow...so, i quess that this material worth some atention..i have 3 moore pieces, and I'v ordered, a piece that has also the outer skinn intact, becose normaly, this pieces come without the outer skinn, and its a pitty, becose that skinn gives more durability and a nicer look..i will keep u guys posted aniway...i wish you all, all the best..take care :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 04:03:34 pm »
Great reply, thank you very much.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline GB

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:23:38 pm »
Neat bow!  Love those big curves.  Nicely done.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 07:27:35 pm »
That sure is nice! Great tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10:48 pm »
Very nice, it looks really good braced

Offline Scottski

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:59:08 pm »
That is a good looking bow. Like her curves!  Very nice work sir.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?