Author Topic: Rasps: Off the Shelf or the Best:  (Read 11031 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Re: Rasps: Off the Shelf or the Best:
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 06:52:42 pm »
I have one called the Rough Bastard and it is a weapon in itself. I have never seen another one like it.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »
Found this video on how Auriou makes its rasps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQJIJuIbCs

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 03:39:47 pm »
In the video they quench by slowly dipping the rasp into the water. Does anyone know why they do it slowly rather than just plunging it in like I was taught in high school? Avoiding cracks maybe?

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »
Bill, what a great video!  Thanks.  Bad news is, the next thing you know, their manufacture will have been moved to the Bumluck region of Some People's Republic and they will be stamped out of melted down Volkswagen keys.😝

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline DLH

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 11:57:06 pm »
I have been looking for a good half round rasp and am considering narex(Czech Republic) pferd(Germany) and ajax (Czech Republic). The ajax is the generic hand cut rasps at lee valley I believe and have seen decent reviews on them they are around 36 dollars an the other two are machine cut and cost about twenty. It's hard to find rasps or files I have read good things about pferd files so I though their rasp would be worth a try. I can't believe they are selling the new lower quality nicholsons for the same price as the old higher quality ones some places stopped selling them because of the quality drop.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 12:13:13 am »
I had heard that about the newer Nicholsons but bought a pair anyway, in the hope that, if I use and treat them right, they may outlast me--as I am near seventy and only hope to last until about 110. 😊also, I doubt I will end up building hundreds of bows like some of the folks on this forum!
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!