Author Topic: snakey lay out?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline jayman448

snakey lay out?
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:11:33 am »
how do you attain a center line on a snakey piece of wood? how do you lay out the limb tapers to follow the snakey grain??? just something that ive not understood.

p.s. on behalf of me and every other noob that asks so many (probably obvious) questions, thank you- everyone who offers their guidance in an effort to school all us new guys. thanks a million. :)

Jason

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: snakey lay out?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:19:44 am »
I follow the longitudinal grain by eye right down the center/crown if possible from end to end, then just lay everything out off of that center line just as you would any other bow.  :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:24:14 am »
What Pappy said.  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 07:39:07 am »
Yep a good strong light source and really getting your eye on the stave will help.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:24:23 am »
A lot of people draw the center line as stated above, then use a combo circle template to finish the layout.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:45:51 am »
A lot of people draw the center line as stated above, then use a combo circle template to finish the layout.
I like that. I was laying out a bow yesterday and my old eyes were having trouble seeing the marks on the steel rule. The circle template will be much easier. Thank You.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:29:53 am »
I like to do as pappy said, just free hand the line following the grain on the center of stave. I've done a lot of carpentry, so I hold the pencil on center, and wrap a couple finders around the endge lightly. Then just slowly slide ur hand up and it will go with the bends and kinks. It works best on staves of more equal sized ends. But if it splits weird u can do it too, just a little more free handing.

If u have trouble just got ever say 6" and mark center of the stave. Then follow the grain and connect the dots
Nothing ventured nothing gained