Author Topic: A question for the OS guru's on here  (Read 1916 times)

Offline DC

A question for the OS guru's on here
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:33:55 pm »
I just found a Ocean Spray stave that is 80" long. 1 1/2" at the top and 2 1/8" at the bottom. It's not too often that I find a piece this long. I'm having a tough time making myself cut it but I wonder if there is any reason to make an OS bow 80" long. Is there any design that might use more of it than the standard 66" or so. I could almost cut it in half, well almost. ;D ;D

Offline wizardgoat

Re: A question for the OS guru's on here
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01:09 pm »
I'm still experimenting with OS, but to me it's top notch bow wood.
I have a 2 staves over 70" long that I've roughed out to ELB
dimensions. I really think this wood can handle this style.
It's pretty heavy, 80" is a bit long, I was planning on cutting mine
down to 66 or 68.
So don't cut it in half, it's pretty easy to find 40 to 50" OS, but long
pieces are very rare, sounds like you found a nice one

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 12:08:34 am »
IF (that's a big IF) you could get it to season without checking and splitting in half in the process, that would make a hell of a war bow....seasoning would take more than several years. I sent one similar to that to that to Pearl Drums... It had been seasoning for almost 3 years in the round and only started to split on one end after about 2 1/2 years which I trimmed off what would be the belly side and resealed several times to stay ahead of the checking...How's that thing doing now Pearly?
I have several smaller (less that 1" x 50") that seasoned in the round and they are fully round cross section all the way down the taper from the full round of the branch at the grip. I have no doubt a much bigger piece could handle the "Mary Rose" dimensions but getting it to season is the key. Probably end up at 200lbs though...  :o
This one is about 50#@24" and is about 7/8" dia at the grip
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:19:02 am »
I realize I'm going to have to cut it. It's really no use at 80" long. I was just hoping for a brilliant idea to use it. Like you say a warbow would probably weigh 5 lbs and draw 200.
I don't try to season them in the round(well I try a few), I cut them on the bandsaw to the pith except for the handle area and I kerf that(thanks SteveB). They dry pretty much without checking but they are still losing weight after 9 or 10 months

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:51:06 am »
It hasnt budged Rand. The slice you made stopped the check. Im just watching her age until Im ready to tear into it. Stuff is crazy dense and hard, pretty exciting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:39:02 pm »
Siege weapon!

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:11 pm »
Siege weapon is right....If I remember right, it was about 5 lbs to ship.....Here's a pic of it before I sent it (along with a really nice D/R piece of Scotchbroom). Can't wait to see what you do with it PD...
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.