Author Topic: Hickory Tiller Check  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Jon Kaw

Hickory Tiller Check
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:38:36 pm »
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.  I've been working on my first bow and wanted to get your expert opinions on the tiller.  It's hickory, 68" NTN and I'm shooting for a final weight around 50# at 27".  Here it is braced.

Here it is at 22".

I'm seeing it being stiff on the outer half of the right side and maybe stiff next to the fadeout on the right side.  I like the bend on the left side.  Like I said, this is my first attempt so, please, tell me if I'm wrong or if you have any suggestions.  Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Offline Jon Kaw

Re: Hickory Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:42:24 pm »
Also, I noticed a check on the back as I was working on it this evening.

Is this bow in need of backing or do you think there is another way to fix it?

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:17:38 pm »
Your analysis is good. Be sure to stay away from the area that is bending in the right limb and get the outer part bending more then the area just off the fade.   You could get a little more bend in the outer limb on the left side too.
 Pretty dang good for your first.       That check looks like it might be in the darker cambium. You might be able to just chip the cambium off and eliminate the check. If it does go into the white wood just fill it with super glue and it will be OK. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:23:49 am »
Chances are that is just a piece of cambium lifting? Hopefully!

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:21:33 am »
+1 PatB, looks great so far for a first bow

Offline Jon Kaw

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:35:10 am »
Thanks for everyone's comments and encouragement.  I'll deal with the check today, hopefully it doesn't extend to the white wood.

Jon

Offline Jon Kaw

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »
Yep, the check was just in the darker cambium.  I cut it out and continued tillering.  Got to 24" at my target weight without any more problems.  Getting close now! :D  Thanks again for your help.

Jon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »
Good start. Mark a nice dark pencil like at the end of the fade where you want the bending to start. Stay there and get it starting to bend right there.

To me it looks like both limbs need to bend close to the handle.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jon Kaw

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 06:44:33 pm »
George, I took your advise and got it bending more next to the fades.  Thanks for your input.  A few more scraping sessions and I should be ready to sand and finish it. 

Jon

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »
looks like the limb edges are pretty square in that last pic. round 'em over a bit to avoid lifting a splinter.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Jon Kaw

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 11:17:58 am »
Yeah, Sonny, the edges have been rounded since that picture was taken.
Thanks
Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 11:21:03 am »
Before adding the finish put 100 arrows through her. Be sure everything is good nd there are no surprises then she'll be ready for the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jon Kaw

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 11:38:30 am »
Will do, Pat.  That's going to be one chilly arrow flinging session ;).  One of these days I'll set up a target in my shop.
Thanks again.
Jon

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 02:32:41 pm »
Good start. Mark a nice dark pencil like at the end of the fade where you want the bending to start. Stay there and get it starting to bend right there.

This is a guy who knows stuff......  :D