Author Topic: bow repair... back surgery  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: bow repair... back surgery
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 09:16:15 pm »
The grease goes that deep?  You can't super glue them then rawhide wrap?

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 09:30:12 pm »
There's nothing stopping it if you keep adding it and heating it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:53 am »
Well I heat treated the belly in the offending area real good to reduce some of the bend there. Then I cleaned up the area around the cracks real good with a scraper, then pried open the biggest spliter and injected wood glue under it. I clamped it down to dry. Then I cut some raw hide off, soaked it, and glued down a 6" patch over the freshly scrapped and sanded area. The area is wraped ightly with hemp chordage and is dry now. Of course when the rawhide dried is shrank and now the hemp wrap is loose. I will rewrap it and probably paint the area to match my ribbons and medals from the Navy.

Right now its braced and held up at a partial draw.

Well seems dispite my efforts a slight hinge has developed in the repair area. I may have to go and retiller the entire bow, which will drop its weight. But it was a 55# bow and I never did have an easy time of drawing it in the mornings so this could help. Even if I loose 10# im still a good weight. Lucky for me its the top limb thats the problem. I may getaway with only tillering the top limb back into a good shape and not need to touch the lower. The top will bend more but isnt it ssupposed to?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:54:34 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
Well, I took it to full draw today. Im excited.  Though I have no expectations for longevity.  I will take it on hunts with a backup.  Plan is to shoot a deer with it and retire it. Fingers crossed.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others