Author Topic: holmegaard, questions of proportion  (Read 8424 times)

Offline jkekoni

Re: holmegaard, questions of proportion
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 09:17:29 am »

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:30 am »
Hey, Everyone,
Thanks for the encouragement to do a build along. Actually, I've just been commisioned to build a Holmegaard (from someone off this message board, who shall remain nameless, until he chooses otherwise), and he said he would be thrilled to watch his bow being built.
He has asked for a 66" hickory backed osage, 52 - 57# @ 27". Because it will be osage, the bow will not be "typical" Holmegaard material or proportions, as I won't have to make the limbs as wide. I build most of my Holmies from white woods. I have built several osage Holmies, and they have been very good shooters, with super cast. I'll post on the "How to and Build Along" forum when I get started.

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 10:57:19 am »
Easternarcher,
Yes, I think hickory backed birch would make a fine Holmegaard. Keep the bending limb portions at least 2" wide, and you should be fine.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 12:32:09 pm »
Easternarcher,
Yes, I think hickory backed birch would make a fine Holmegaard. Keep the bending limb portions at least 2" wide, and you should be fine.

ADB, Thanks..I got two projects on the go now, but I'll start one soon. Seems that this design lends itself well to the whitewoods ie ash-birch-maple....I got 'em all too! ;)

Offline Dane

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 08:01:52 pm »
ADB, excellent. Glad you are doing a buildalong. Be sure and announce it so we can check that section of PA.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 08:22:52 pm »
abd. I love your bows. It kind of makes me embarrassed to call mine holmegaard with the sissy little 6-8" long narrowed limb tips.  :-[ I think Ill be more carefull what I call a holmegaard from now on.   ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah