Author Topic: steaming vs heat gun  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Postman

steaming vs heat gun
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:41:41 am »
i am roughing out some osage staves - I would like to caul them with some reflex before drying them. Any thoughts on pros/cons of steam vs. heat guns? Also - are top of the line heat guns necessary, or will a $25 ace hardware job do? (1200 watt, I think....)
thanx
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: steaming vs heat gun
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:49:03 am »
Postman, The rule of thumb with heat bending wood is...dry wood, dry heat. Wet wood, steam.
   If your staves are still a bit green, take the bow down to floor tiller stage and clamp it to the caul and allow it time to dry. Be sure the back is well sealed so it doesn't check while drying.
   The heat gun I bought about 10 years ago was $5 at a garage sale. I believe it is 1200 w max. You don't have to spend a lot on a good heat gun and you don't need the best.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:51:21 am »
My heat gun wasn't that expensive.  ;) I think you are wasting your time heating them before they are mostly dry.  As they dry they will move anyway.   If they are wet, build a form that is the shape you want and clamp the stave to it and let it dry that way.  It should maintain at least some of that profile.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:55:15 pm »
If you heat it while it is still wet ,I will almost guarantee it will check on the back.Do what Pat
and justin said and be sure to seal it.I always steam first anyway unless the wood is 3/4 years
old then tweak with dry heat.If it is old and well seasoned I just use dry heat but still like
it to be sealed,holds down on the checks and holds the heat in better. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:36:20 am »
Thanks guys - have 2 roughed out, shellacked and clamped. hopefully get 2 more done this weekend. Osage shavings make a basement smell great!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:10:19 pm »
Yes they do. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Staver

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:03:58 pm »
What do you like to seal the backs with prior to putting reflex in the staves?  Joe H

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:05:58 pm »
Also, do you like to seal the backs again even if you don't intend on putting any reflex in the stave? ???

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:18:37 pm »
Spray shellac or good ol' Elmer's glue both work great. I usually seal the back on osage or locust after I chase a ring just to be on the safe side, I've had a few check on me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »
I roughed out an osage bow a few weeks ago I figured was pretty dry, I wished I would have sealed the back because it got several long checks in it. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:37:49 pm »
Spray shellac or good ol' Elmer's glue both work great. I usually seal the back on osage or locust after I chase a ring just to be on the safe side, I've had a few check on me.
Absolutely, It doesn't hurt to have the back sealed so why not seal it and be safe. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:53:08 pm »
NOW I find out :D. Seal it before you steam it :). I had the back sealed for months with Bulllseye shellac, but it must have gotten thin, hmm. I'll beef that up a little before I steam anothern..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Staver

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:13:19 pm »
Thanks for the heads up!!  I worked a piece of osage down this Sunday... I just now put a coat of tongue oil on the back to seal it up.  I hope it works since it's all I got right now!! :'(  If it doesn't work I'll let you all know ;)  Joe H