Author Topic: if you where me,where would you go?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline beartail

if you where me,where would you go?
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »
just trying to get an idea. I keep seeing all these people picking up tons and tons of flint.dont get me wrong im glad for them but I want to be one of them. if you where me where would you go to get a trunk load of flint. I live in Goldsboro nc.where would the closest place to me to go get some? I love flint knapping.but I just cant afford to order it.and it just don't seem fare I gotta pay hundreds of dollars to people who pick it up for nothing but a little sweat.im not knocking anyone who does,to each his own but I want it to knapp,not to sell it.i hope you understand what im saying.im not a jerk trying to start trouble,just wish I could get something I love and not have to go without food to get it,ya know what I mean.thanks for the help fellas.peace and love

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: if you where me,where would you go?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:58:17 pm »
I would try to get myself to a knap-in somewhere in NC or close by.  You can talk to the fellas there and find out where they get theirs for free.  There is usually a place to get medium grade rock where lots of people go.  The only catch is that the stone will be picked over and you probably won't get large pieces.

As far as I know, from what I've heard, NC is not a good place to find rock.  So you might have to spend some money on gas.  Either way, buying it online or buying gas, you will need to spend some money eventually if you want a truck load of rock.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »
I looked up the geology of NC and you have lots of clay and clay like rock, but that's the sedimentary end like chert. I did find that you apparently have a quality rhyolite called Morrow Mountain rhyolite. Also, apparently this formation is found in a State Park and collecting would be prohibited, but you may speak with some rock hounds in that area and find where it can be had. Here's one article on the rock: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1PT46_morrow-mountains-special-rock?guid=74882a5d-8f31-439d-99a4-c0546124a13f

Maybe someone will know more than this Arkansas boy does....

Offline beartail

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
thanks guys. keep the ideas coming.i have worked rhyolite and I love the stuff that's not hard as steel!! rhyolite is great for hunting points couse of its hardness.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:48 am »
I'd move to Texas. Everything I sent was free, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:27:32 am »
I've camped and knapped at Morrow Mountain State Park before. They do not allow rock collecting at the park. I did get permission from a farmer in nearby Denton NC to dig some nice rhyolite out of his hay field. The rock was breaking blades of his mowing equipment and he was glad to see some of the rock go. Rick B

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:05:49 pm »
Not to many folks are going to reveal their honey holes
 on line for the entire world to see. There is plenty of Rhyolite in NC.
Read archaeology reports and research on the subject.
Like Jack said you are going to pay one way or the other.
Gathering a truck load of rock is way tougher and more expensive
than buying it. Especially when you cart home a bunch of crap cause
you don't know for sure what's good or not.
It takes time and money to collect. Just money to buy.
I like to hunt rock if I am going by possible locations.
Seldom head out just for rock.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 01:29:22 pm »
I would drive over the mountains to TN. Take a canoe, float rivers and look around. I bet you have a truck load before you know it.

Patrick

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 02:49:29 pm »
    Like Zuma said, take a vacation, and look the areas over.  And like Klienpm said, head over to Tn. and make a mini vacation out of it, borrow, or rent a canoe, kayak, etc. to explore, and research.  Even check out Va. .  Take a rock hammer with you, or masonry hammer, the same, just not as expensive, and check the rocks that look to have possibilities.  Like they said, one way or another you are going to have to pay.  Like the old Scottish saying, "If ye wanna dance, ye got to pay the piper." ;)  Pretty much any hobby, is going to cost you money.  You could take up making "Isinglass",  N.C. is loaded with Mica.  But travel, or mail order, or some realllllllly, kind person to send you some, are the only options I see for you.  Sorry for your addiction, but I am sure you were forewarned, about it, including the bleeding.  So save up the pennies, and take a trip.  Make it a fun vacation, and check out the rocks, and Bow, and arrow materials, etc. don't just look for rock only.  Do a little research first, and that way, you will cut down on unproductive areas.  But at the very least, you will see some nice scenery, and hopefully have a very enjoyable, peaceful, and relaxing vacation.  Like they said don't go just for rock, cause once you have all the rock you can haul, then your reason for the trip is over.  Relax, and enjoy life, and the world around you.  You might even meet people who are more than willing to help you in your quest.  Just as any where, be cautious, and careful, and aware of your surroundings.  Good luck.

Wayne

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:21:26 pm »
Just buy some rock! There are all kinds of sellers on FB, and the web. By the time you spend money for gas and your time( which could be spent knapping). you could have bought and made many different types of points and rock
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline beartail

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 03:41:16 pm »
thanks yall,some good ideas there.hay mullet! whatcha doin?wish you could see what ive done so far.not so pertty but would make meat!still got enough left to scratch that itch too.thank you so much again!i bet I would be crazy by now ifin you hadn't give me that beautyfull stuff!yall be safe hear?