Author Topic: Gidget gets her sinew  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gidget gets her sinew
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »
And here she is with the second course of sinew just added. After she sets up for a day or so I'll put her up over our hot water heater to cure for a month or so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »
  Pat, thanks for the build along...I have never sinew backed and this is interesting...That red streaked Osage is some hard stuff and with the sinew that should be a Deer Slayer for sure 8)
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 11:00:23 pm »
Can't wait man.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:28 pm »
Very  nice Pat. Are you going to wrap it like I saw in one of your old post? Can't wait to see the results. I'm planning on doing a reflex/deflex bendy handle very shortly myself.

Do you floor tiller your bows or full tiller them before adding the sinew?  Thanks, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 11:49:10 pm »
Patrick, I did not wrap this bow. Once the hide glue gelled I used my thumb to flatten it out somewhat. I tillered this bow out to 40#@20" before adding the sinew. I made one sinew backed bow by fully tillering the bow first and another one after getting to floor tiller but I think I prefer to tiller out a bit first then add the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 12:07:26 am »
Thanks Pat,  I think I will try that this time. I just floor tiller ed my last one and didn't get any reflex out of it. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 09:16:27 am »
Nice B-A-A Pat.  I've used cow sinew quite a bit, lately.  It works well for me.  In fact, that snakey bow of yours is of cow sinew.  So I'm curious, Gidget?  Hope all is well.  Looking forward to your progress.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 09:47:22 am »
Thanks Matt. All is well here. Hope so for you and your gang too.      Gidget was a belly split from the stave I made Island Girl from, Island Girl's little sister.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
    very very cool

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club