Author Topic: Bow String for a Recurve  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Buck67

Bow String for a Recurve
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:59:19 am »
I have a 55 pound Martin 150 Recurve.  I shoot it when I'm not shooting my longbows.  I have shot it enough that the string is starting to fray.  I'd like to make my own bowstring to replace the one that came with the bow. 

Here is my question.  The current bowstring is a continuous thread type with lots of wrapping at the loops.  I don't have the rig to make a continuous string but I make a fine Flemish twist bowstring.  I have plenty of B50 on hand and it works fine in my longbows.

Will a B50 Flemish Twist bow string work on a FG recurve?  Any idea how many strings I should use?  I plan on making up a 12 string Flemish Twist, but that is just a guess on my part.  The Bow requires a 60" string, do I need to make a double loop or can I do a single loop Flemish twist with a "Bowyers Knot" on the end.

Any other thoughts or comments on something that I haven't covered?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow String for a Recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:12:00 am »
I use B-50 Flemish twist strings on everything and they all use a bowyers knot on the bottom. I use 14 strands for anything 50# and over and 12 strands for 45# and down. This might be a little over kill but I have never had a string break in over 25 years of building bows and I never had a problem with arrow flight using 14 strands of B-50 Flemish twist strings. My Jeffrey glass recurve came with a B-50, Flemish twist string back in the late 1980s.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:13:45 am »
Thanks Pat.  I was hoping that Flemish twist would work.  I will do a 14 string as you suggest.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »
A continuous loop string involves four pegs or bolts in a board.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:23 pm »
...but a Flemish twist only requires 2.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:37:57 pm »
So does an endless if you just use a  notched end spacer to spread the strands to allow serving room.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »
Just fit the new bowstring onto my recurve.  14 strands of B50 are a lot thicker than whatever was used originally.  A little file work on the arrow nocks and it worked great.  Shoots just as good as before.  Thanks for the advice.